• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith you used for your aftermarket DTA barrel?

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
Looking for a list of gunsmiths (and prices) who will build a barrel for the DTA system, not sure if the Covert is any different then the SRS on the inside, as I will most likely be going with a Covert.
Looking to buy a Covert chassis and bolt (anyone know the price on the bolt?) and have a 18" 1/10" twist .308 barrel made, along with a .243 barrel, not sure what twist or length yet. As far as I understand ill need the following for each barrel:
Barrel extension? what's the price on an extension?
New bolt if going for a magnum cal (ex:.338LM)
As far as I understand all I need is the chassis, bolt and barrel to get it shooting?
Thanks
-Felipe

Re: Gunsmith you used for your aftermarket DTA barrel?

Barrel Extension = 500
.308 Bolt = 350

Don't forget mags. And I'd use APA myself.....They made the 260rem barrel I had which had a .19" test target.

Edit NVM haha, you just answered my question. Care to pm me pricing that APA gave you for the barrel? Thanks
-Felipe

EDit: also, did you have to send your chassis in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edit NVM haha, you just answered my question. Care to pm me pricing that APA gave you for the barrel? Thanks
-Felipe

EDit: also, did you have to send your chassis in? </div></div>

They generally would prefer you to send in the chassis...but you'd need to talk with them to be sure.

Its their standard pricing for a normal barrel. No special pricing as far as I know.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Gunsmith you used for your aftermarket DTA bar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to Bobby Keigans at Freedom Gunworks before you make any final commitments elsewhere. He is definitely worth listening to regarding custom DTA replacement barrels/conversion kits.

http://www.freedomgunworks.com/ </div></div>
I think ill stay away from FGW.

If I remember correctly I think I read in the DTA thread that you ordered a covert right? would love to see some pics man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to Bobby Keigans at Freedom Gunworks before you make any final commitments elsewhere. He is definitely worth listening to regarding custom DTA replacement barrels/conversion kits.

http://www.freedomgunworks.com/ </div></div>

Last I checked...most of Bobbies work goes through APA. Besides....I'd pull the name...Bobby isn't welcome on this forum.

Fair enough, I was not aware of any history here, but he has been <span style="text-decoration: underline">extremely</span> helpful to me in the last few months. As far Covert pics go, if the blizzards and other crappy winter weather can hold off here long enough, I'll try to post a report that is completely sickening in its level of detail.