• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmithing a side charging handle for AR

i_Adam_i18

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
Olympia, WA
Anyone know a gunsmith that would machine a standard BCG for an AR to put a side charging handle on it?

I don't really want to pay 2x the price of a standard BCG for one that has a side charging handle especially when I already have a stock BCG in hand.

Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Gunsmithing a side charging handle for AR

You'll need to machine the upper too, in order to make space for the side charging handle to back off.
Unless your upper already has it, that is.

I Just traded in my forged Mega upper for a Billet side charging handle upper yesterday. Yeah, It's on the right side.

You can try Fred @ Sabreco:

Fred Szablewski, Sabreco, (610) 584-8228

I've done a couple for the MEGA billet upper. Its a pain in the ass. You need a 3/8's carbide end mill, #3 carbide drill bit, and I'm not real happy with any of the 1/4-28 taps I've used. Young manufacturing does a nice job........

Agreed on the better design. I May end up selling the Mega billet upper and forged lower and trading in my other Mega set for their new billet matched upper/lower. I stopped by their shop the other day and Jason showed me that. Holy F is it nice. It really does look like both the upper and lower were machined out of the same piece.

Thanks for the reference to Young Manufacturing, looks like they have side charging BC's for $125, thats not bad. I would go that route if I plan on using this upper.

I really like the MEGA billet upper with the side charging handle.
2d40tl.jpg

207asuv.jpg

592de.jpg

Top two are my homegrown BC with handle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO this is a better design, since you can disassemble w/out having to un-screw the handle every time:

ASA Side Charging Handle Upper and Carrier

Pricey though ...

</div></div>

And it locks forward, instead of being a reciprocating meat catcher while firing. While spendy, if I were to do a side sharging AR ASA's upper is what I'd use.

Sweet, thanks for the pics. Nice to see what the finished product would look like.

Thats one thing I was thinking about too was the "reciprocating meat catcher" as sobrbiker says. I guess as long as I keep my digits out of the danger zone I should be ok...

I have had to many encounters with Mr Murphy in my lifetime to get a side charge with a recip handle. I have quite a few of the side charging uppers from ASA....308, 9mm, 223....and 2 uppers still waiting to be brought to life.

First. You do not want the side handle drilled all the way through into the bolt passage way. Make sure this is done correctly. Don't pay if it goes all the way through.

Second. The side charging handle won't get you. Unless ejecting brass normally gets you out of the ejecting port. They both travel in the same direction from the same location. Hold your rifle and look at the ejection port and logically think about this for a minute.

The asa one's suck in that you no longer have any forward control over the bolt carrier. Does anyone remember why we have a forward assist? Well it's so we can push the bolt carrier home. With a handle firmly drilled tapped and threaded to the carrier we still have this ability. The ASA non reciprocal only gives us the ability to pull the carrier rearward.

The cheapest way to do this is to get the parts together and send them off to either http://www.medeshafirearms.com/serv01.htm or John Holliger at White Oak.

The DPMS Low Pro upper receivers are nice in that there is no brass deflector to get mangled and they are reinforced, but not to the degree the billet ones are. The billet ones are too heavy and no stronger. They also make hitting the bolt release problematic due to how much they overlap the lower receiver.

Looking for some new low pro receivers to send in? I've got 3X new ones left over I'd make a sweet deal on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO this is a better design, since you can disassemble w/out having to un-screw the handle every time:

Pricey though ...

</div></div>

And it locks forward, instead of being a reciprocating meat catcher while firing. While spendy, if I were to do a side sharging AR ASA's upper is what I'd use. </div></div>

We'll have these in stock soon.

I know I am a high drag, low speed non-operator. but in my opinion, if you are having to use the forward assist to make a round chamber, you have bigger issues. (not starting a flame war here, just my honest opinion) I have been using the side chargers for 5 or 6 years now, and have never had the situation where is said "Dam, wish I had the forward assist"....but I guess if your trying to be tackicly quiet in the shit and you have to open the BCG to verify you have a round loaded and are ridding the charging handle so as to be as quiet as possible and need a little extra push to close it...........your probably not going to be using a side charging receiver of either style.

Hi scott, how is it going, have not talked in awhile......I still need to drop by the shop and grab a shotgun shell holder or two for the Mossy and Benelli (can't seem to find the one for the Bene).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO this is a better design, since you can disassemble w/out having to un-screw the handle every time:

Pricey though ...

</div></div>

Thanks for the find! Looks like this will potentially eliminate gassing from the charging handle area common when running with the supressor. I just might have to pick one up.

word on the street is they spew MORE gas in your face. it leaks out of the slot cut in the side of the upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertfox01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I am a high drag, low speed non-operator. but in my opinion, if you are having to use the forward assist to make a round chamber, you have bigger issues. (not starting a flame war here, just my honest opinion) I have been using the side chargers for 5 or 6 years now, and have never had the situation where is said "Dam, wish I had the forward assist"....but I guess if your trying to be tackicly quiet in the shit and you have to open the BCG to verify you have a round loaded and are ridding the charging handle so as to be as quiet as possible and need a little extra push to close it...........your probably not going to be using a side charging receiver of either style.
</div></div>
These uppers are commonly used in suppressed applications. Also in suppressed rigs of uncommon calibers, like 9mm, 45acp, 300 whisper, and .338 spectre. Suppressed AR15's get dirty in the chamber quick. These rounds outside of the initial design envelope using projectiles of varying shapes cause feeding issues sometimes. Now let's introduce subsonic ammo and cycling issues due to the lower gas pressure.

The non-reciprocating handle has no way to fix it when rounds encounter problems feeding and the bolt doesn't lock up. The first round out of the mag usually needs more help feeding than the next. The giant slot in the side leads to MUCH GREATER gas in the face. It's horrible actually, suppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The non-reciprocating handle has no way to fix it when rounds encounter problems feeding and the bolt doesn't lock up. The first round out of the mag usually needs more help feeding than the next. The giant slot in the side leads to MUCH GREATER gas in the face. It's horrible actually, suppressed. </div></div>

I disagree. pull the charging handle(side charge) back and let the bolt use its weight to try chamber the round. The bolt carrier has a notch cut out so the side charge pulls the bolt carrier back, but you can not push it into battery(going forward).

As for most of us, if the round doesn't chamber, there's a bigger problem and you shouldn't force it. I do agree shooting suppressed that everything gets dirty faster, but a quick wipe(field expedient cleaning) of the chamber area should keep you going until you have time to properly clean your gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the MEGA billet upper with the side charging handle.
2d40tl.jpg

207asuv.jpg

592de.jpg

Top two are my homegrown BC with handle
</div></div>

Now that is cool, and something I've never seen.

Last year I rebuilt my 9mm intergally supressed SBR upper with a Side Charger (ASA) receiver. Funny, I do not have any problems with gas in my face, and it does not get much worse then a blowback, suppressed upper. I even used it in a Carbine class done through a local community college, we did 500 to 600 rnds on just day 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First. You do not want the side handle drilled all the way through into the bolt passage way. Make sure this is done correctly. Don't pay if it goes all the way through. </div></div>

I have several Young Manufacturing BCG and they drill them all the way through. I don't and never have had an issue with the YM or my DIY BCG.

I have done close to 100 side charger mods over the years. All of them were drilled thru for the bolt handle. With the wall thickness of the BC being what it is , this is the only way to get enough threads to propperly mount the bolt handle to the BC. Why is this wrong? Is a blind holethat is partially threaded better than a thru hole that is completly threaded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The asa one's suck in that you no longer have any forward control over the bolt carrier. Does anyone remember why we have a forward assist? Well it's so we can push the bolt carrier home. With a handle firmly drilled tapped and threaded to the carrier we still have this ability. The ASA non reciprocal only gives us the ability to pull the carrier rearward.</div></div>
So, that's what it is useful for, that thing that sticks out of the upper?!?
grin.gif

For the use it is made of most of the commercially sold AR15, and for the cleaning level they're kept at, IMO if you have a stoppage you're better off pulling the bolt back and investigating the issue, instead of trying to cram the bolt in.
I've never had to use the forward assist in any of my AR15, and honestly that is not what would prevent me in selecting an (in my opinion) better solution.

there was a guy i ran into on arfcom who doesn't post much but built an upper that mirrored the asa unit but had a forward assist to boot... best of both worlds... it was pricey though... somewhere north of $500 for the upper and carrier (no bolt).

while neat i don't much care for the bolt knob through the carrier. i like the asa as i use them in precision rifle applications, not carbines. thus, if my bolt won't rotate into battery i'm not going to use a forward assist to force it regardless.

we could get into the FA debate, but frankly that really is another topic.

i also considered using the asa for use on carbines with cans. i was considering using a small dollop of rtv along the rear of the upper to keep shit from spraying my cheek and glasses, but i'm thinking i'll consider a gas piston conversion instead, since it'll employ a means to monitor gas with and w/out the can.

i've used and sold many asa uppers and i've never had trouble with operation or reliability. i did have a couple with very low decks which made it very hard to push in the take down pins. while in a carbine this would be a poor idea, the precision rifles i built with them lended themselves to less slop, so it worked out well.

hope this helps.

-michael

Who else besides YM makes a BCG with side charger. Some links would be appreciated.

The YM is just too pricy. Thanks.

anyone got pics of one on left side? id be interested as it seems more ergonomic, like an fal.

I used an American Spirit Arms Side charging upper on a build a few years ago when they first came out. My experience with that particular side charging upper was a nightmare. If you actually use the rifle in the field or hunting, it's flaws become obvious quickly and even more so after the upper has been put through it's paces and worn a bit. Without going into detail on every fatal flaw of the design, I will just say that it is way ytoo compicated to be practical. First you have to try and flip out the cocking lever just to be able to charge it, in the freezing cold when fingers are numb or gloves are on this becomes and almost impossible task to do without stopping and dealing with it. Debris gets caught in all the little parts made to allow it to be non-reciprocating, making it non-functioning instead. Even with the lever flipped out it does not give you a suitable handle to grab onto. I loaned this rifle out to a total of 14 friends and family to use and try out the new upper, and only one of the 14 said he liked it. That person used it to target shoot at a range for 20 minutes.

All of that being said, the reciprocating side chargers are a vast improvement offering both the solution it was designed for as well as a no-nonsense, simple mechanism that is not likely to malfunction or break. There are a dozen pros but still one con: breaking down the upper is now more involved as long as the cocking lever is threaded into the carrier. Maybe they can come up with one that attaches similar to the way Benelli attached the lever to their M4 shotgun? Easily removed but stays on when it's supposed to and works beautifully!

Have you tried a BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle? They're a vast improvement over a standard charging handle, without all the flaws associated with hacking into your upper to make it a sidecharger. I swear if you buy the Gunfighter and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for full price. Seriously, try one and keep my username handy.

-matt

Pricey though ...

</div></div>

Like frickin WOW - $425???? I buy cosmetic blem uppers for $55 for my builds. $425????? For an AR-15 upper? You gotta be kiddin me!!!!!

Left side is kinda cool though....

I've decided to go this route for the .300 Fireball. I want a left side charger because I can keep the rifle ready at point of aim while charging. It could be a problem when slung though. Does anyone have experience with left side charging knobs, or know where to get the upper & BCG for this type of setup?

Sorry for a slight threadjack, but I've been trying to find a plug that would replace the top charging handle on my JP left-charge upper (I never use the top charge, and would like a better solution than RTV/Gasbuster to deal with gas face). You guys who are shooting side-chargers, what do you do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The asa one's suck in that you no longer have any forward control over the bolt carrier. Does anyone remember why we have a forward assist? Well it's so we can push the bolt carrier home. With a handle firmly drilled tapped and threaded to the carrier we still have this ability. The ASA non reciprocal only gives us the ability to pull the carrier rearward.</div></div>
So, that's what it is useful for, that thing that sticks out of the upper?!?
grin.gif

For the use it is made of most of the commercially sold AR15, and for the cleaning level they're kept at, IMO if you have a stoppage you're better off pulling the bolt back and investigating the issue, instead of trying to cram the bolt in.
I've never had to use the forward assist in any of my AR15, and honestly that is not what would prevent me in selecting an (in my opinion) better solution.
</div></div>

You obviously don't use your rifle for any sort of hunting. When coyote hunting I step out of the truck, pull back the charging handle and slowly let it chamber the round. This NEVER locks the bolt so I have to use the forward assist EVERY TIME! It's either load this way or walk several miles for nothing since all of the dogs heard me load my rifle.

Check out Quentin Defense or Rainier Arms, they both make a nice side charger that uses a Young Machine bolt carrier.........much cheaper than the problem prone ASA.