• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Schools

John B.

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2020
Hi,

What are some of the best colleges to get a gunsmithing degree? Or should I get a degree in machinery? I would like to learn how to make my own barrels for example and all these online schools seem like a waste of time since none are hands on this way from what I gather. Maybe I’m going about this the wrong way entirely and should be an apprentice to an established gunsmith? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Best regards, John.

Hi,

Clarification in regards to "make my own barrels!!

Are you talking about chamber and threading or actually making your own barrels? HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEE difference!!

Way easier for a potential employer to teach a machinist the 10 pieces of a firearm than teaching a gunsmith how to operate machines.

Learning cnc programming and operating will always open more doors than "I know how to tune a trigger" will ever open.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: John B.
Hi,

Clarification in regards to "make my own barrels!!

Are you talking about chamber and threading or actually making your own barrels? HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEE difference!!

Way easier for a potential employer to teach a machinist the 10 pieces of a firearm than teaching a gunsmith how to operate machines.

Learning cnc programming and operating will always open more doors than "I know how to tune a trigger" will ever open.

Sincerely,
Theis
Thanks; I’m sure I mean making my own barrels from scratch, not just slapping together pre made parts and calling it my own; so you’re saying getting a degree in machinery is the way to go? Makes sense to me, wasn’t sure how the two were related in terms of what you need to learn/know and what you don’t

Hi,

LOLOL Good luck with those barrels.
The old Pratt & Whitney rifling machines are pretty hard to find in working condition you will need.
Plus they have long been surpassed by modern barrel manufacturing cells.
Those typically start at about half million USD.

Sincerely,
Theis

Without a competent machinist making those parts, there are no pre-made items to “slap” together. Take a grander at any well known custom gun shop, and see how many of their master gun builders have a degree in machinery from the local community college or trade school. Iffin you can’t read the tools, or identify the tools needed to use a lathe or mill, ain’t much getting done on em that will be to the right tolerances. Just my small opinion and my limited knowledge I have on manual machines, which isn’t much

Hi,

LOLOL Good luck with those barrels.
The old Pratt & Whitney rifling machines are pretty hard to find in working condition you will need.
Plus they have long been surpassed by modern barrel manufacturing cells.
Those typically start at about half million USD.

Sincerely,
Theis
I’m clearly quite ignorant of this subject haha no idea where to start

Is community college all it takes? I was thinking about a regular brick and mortar college but if the program is just as good I don’t mind saving a little beer money