• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing section

John L

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
MI
I have been off the Hide for quite some time, but there used to be a section dedicated to "Gunsmithing". I cannot find it anywhere as it was my favorite section. Is the upgraded membership needed to access it, or is the section just gone?

There’s a gunsmithing prefix you can add to your thread. Think those are just mixed in the other thread titles

Gunsmithing has evolved into some pretty serious Dremel-ing. How can I be of service?

1709260708771.gif

Gunsmithing doesnt exist anymore. Its because everyone IS one.

Every prick just buys an action, prefit barrel, trigger and plonks it into a chassis or a stock with a mini chassis and proclaims "iM a GunSMiTh NoW HurR dURr" and then proceeds to whinge about when a mag doesnt feed perfectly or they get a light strike or POI shift.

No, im actually sober. Thanks for asking.
8hkrhi.jpg

I also know a few so-called 'GunSMiThs' that own gunshops that are unable to put a barrelled action into a chassis. The opposite is also true. A lot of competent shooters build their own shit and have excellent results, sometimes exceeding the custom jobs of well known names in the industry. So I guess it's all relative.

Indeed it is. Nothing wrong with people owning a barrel vice, gauges, and some tools. Have at it.

Just because i pulled a splinter out of my kids foot, he might think im a doctor, but i promise you, im not.

Reactions: lariat and fpgt72
Indeed it is. Nothing wrong with people owning a barrel vice, gauges, and some tools. Have at it.

Just because i pulled a splinter out of my kids foot, he might think im a doctor, but i promise you, im not.
Yes, agree, that's a pretty good comparison.

However you have to starts somewhere, and I think there is no shame to be proud of what you build and let other shooters in the community shoot your guns. Some guys started with a vice and a decent lathe and made top-notch products a few years later; not sure they could have been called 'gunsmith' at that time.

As a RO in a small range, I frequently see competitors running 10k rifles that can barely shoot 1 MOA, no joke. I have seen factory rifle literally unable to print a 6 MOA group at 300 yards (barrel loose).

Hah.. calling out savage...

I also have basically seen the same. People buying AI's thinking it will make them a better shooter... nope.

Good gear enables you to be better, but you have to put in the time. Much like if i was to get on a factory ducati motogp bike, doesnt mean im gonna be competative. If i was a good rider it would enable me to be better, doesnt actually make me better. You can only ever ride to the skill level you currently have.
Experience, training and practice makes me better, not new gear.

Same goes for 'smithing. Like an apprentice. Things take time to learn, and be good at. Props to people learning and trying.

I can bake a cake. I grab flour, water, milk, eggs, sugar and .... vanilla extract ? I cqn keep trying for years and still make shit flavoured cakes. There comes a point you need to be trained on how to do it properly. You years of shit cakes is still valid experience. Just "bad" experience.

Unlearn.

Its in the Armory, Click on the highlighted red tag and it will take you to the sub forum. Same with the other colored tabs.

1709292660664.png

Reactions: Milf Dots
Hah.. calling out savage...

I also have basically seen the same. People buying AI's thinking it will make them a better shooter... nope.

Good gear enables you to be better, but you have to put in the time. Much like if i was to get on a factory ducati motogp bike, doesnt mean im gonna be competative. If i was a good rider it would enable me to be better, doesnt actually make me better. You can only ever ride to the skill level you currently have.
Experience, training and practice makes me better, not new gear.

Same goes for 'smithing. Like an apprentice. Things take time to learn, and be good at. Props to people learning and trying.

I can bake a cake. I grab flour, water, milk, eggs, sugar and .... vanilla extract ? I cqn keep trying for years and still make shit flavoured cakes. There comes a point you need to be trained on how to do it properly. You years of shit cakes is still valid experience. Just "bad" experience.

Unlearn.
Yup. I would 'judge' people by their actions and the quality of their work, not by their title.

The rifle with the barrel loose was SIG actually. And some rifles from another big name I won't mention. I don't want to be sued :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng