• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Gunsmithing

Jzone

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Besides the forums where do you all learn your DIY gunsmithing? Books, videos, etc....Any info is appreciated.

Re: Gunsmithing

Mentors, trial and expense....I mean error. Richards gunsmithing has some vids, local colleges, you tube....in this era of media transfer, its everywhere.

Be aware, that everything you see is not always the right way. Learn general machining.....then apply that to guns. You will go further knowing how to get yourself out of a jam if your brownells magic jig fails mid job. Learn how to spot mistakes before they happen, and erase those that do.....cause in the end, someone's gotta clean up the mess.

A gunsmith is a person who repairs, modifies, designs, or builds firearms. IMO, there is a big difference between a person that threads, chambers, and screws a pipe on a rifle action and a gunsmith. Many gunsmiths do not have lathes and mills but still make a living customizing, cleaning, refinishing, and repairing firearms. Do you need a $100K CNC machining center to build accurate guns...no way. It helps getting it done faster and makes it easier to reproduce repeatability but it’s not essential to small groups. Most any machinest that can read a blueprint can rebarrel a rifle.

A good mechanical aptitude and understanding of some math goes a long way to help troubleshoot problems. Having a good library makes it much easier to work on something you know nothing about. Exploded parts views help identify and fix a basket case gun. You will find that manuals give you basic knowledge that you can expand on.

Totally disassemble a gun and put it back together. Learn how things interact and why they are designed the way they are. Learn why guns don't work or shoot well, not just jump into re-furbish one with new barrel and stock. Start to do some upgrades with trial and error. Don't monkey with a part that is not replaceable or super expensive.

Never compromise safety to get it a little bit better. Gunhacks create a lot of business for gunsmiths.

I got lucky. I learned from my father and he learned from his. I just hope to be as skilled as my father is someday. His muzzle loaders are increadible.

I learned from the school of hard knocks 20 years ago. I screwed up a lot of high dollar barrels learning back then and had to make quite a few tools.

With the information available on the internet and the ability to purchase tooling it would be rather easy to produce a accurate rifle without difficulty once you master the general machining aspects.

There is nothing better than building a rifle yourself except building a super accurate rifle yourself.