• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths - AI Stocks and Recoil Lug Fit???

CARRYAGLOCK

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2003
Woodbridge, VA
Any gunsmiths know dimensions of AICS recoil lug inlet?

I am thinking of picking up a AICS LA 1.5. My rifle has a Badger Recoil Lug.
.23 wide left to right
.555 deep from under side of action to tip of lug
.29 front to back of lug

Does anybody know the dimensions of the the recoil lug inlet in the aluminum chassis? This lug is a beast and the pics I have seen of the recoil lug inlet doesn't look quite big enough.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Gunsmiths - AI Stocks and Recoil Lug Fit???

You will need to move the front of the lug cut out forward and also the inlet down deeper as well. Its not hard to do, just stay away from the back side of the inlet that the recoil lug touches.

If you get in a bind, send it to me and I will do it no charge if you cover shipping.

Mark

i'd open up the front of the aics lug recess and remove material from the bottom of the recoil lug itself if needed. i wouldn't deepen the aics lug recess. i have done it on one of mine and it hasn't failed but you are weakening the chassis by doing so. the bottom of a long recoil lug isn't doing any work so i shorten them instead. there is no chance of compromising the strength of the chassis that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd open up the front of the aics lug recess and remove material from the bottom of the recoil lug itself if needed. i wouldn't deepen the aics lug recess. </div></div>

Agreed. Just no reason to go deeper in the chassis when you can remove useless lug material.

OP, if you send the AICS out to have it milled out, but dont want to send out the barreled action, you can remove the lug material with just about anything that will do it. Its not a crucial surface and never touches anything. A grinder, sander, file maybe, .. anything that will remove steel from the bottom of the lug to give you clearance. Id probably belt sand it slowly, keeping it cool of course.

I think the newer AICS stocks are made to fit the larger lugs like Badger. Just buy a new stock and you'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the newer AICS stocks are made to fit the larger lugs like Badger. Just buy a new stock and you'll be fine. </div></div>

I was wondering if they'd ever modify their stocks.
Wonder if they opened up the trigger area for Jewels while they were at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the newer AICS stocks are made to fit the larger lugs like Badger. Just buy a new stock and you'll be fine. </div></div>

it certainly could have changed since the last one i dealt with but i think aics opened the recess up to allow for a max of a .25" thick lug. the depth didn't change. many aftermarket lugs are thicker and almost all of the lugs i have dealt with are taller than the lug recess.

Ok that is exactly what I needed to know guys. Thank you.
M.Gordon thanks for the offer! I'll PM you if this comes to.