• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths; Question on action stress

Kasumi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
New York, USA
Gunsmiths; A question about stress in bedding a action.
I switched out my HS Precision stock on my LTR to a used Manners T5 stock, the previous owner pillar & skim bedded this stock for a REM 700 5R, with Surgeon DBM.
Mounted the action in per Surgeon DBM instructions and torqued front screw first increasing front & back 10in/lb at a time.
During the process it did seem like front screw stopped turning at 40 in/ lbs, while the rear screw I could discern a 1/8th or more a of a turn while increasing torque each time, up to 55-60 end setting.
Results; I left the scope mounted on rifle during process and headed off to range. Rifle shoots well, .223 FGMM 69gr at 100yds, my second group was one hole.
But all rounds were 2moa low, did I introduce stress to the action? Why the shift?
One could argue the rifle was dialed in at 100yds on the HS stock, what caused the shift in POI?
Or do we say screw it, shoots as good as before leave it alone?

Re: Gunsmiths; Question on action stress

I suspect your barreled action was being slightly distorted in the HS stock. Probably it was torqued down in the stock before installing the scope. No two Remingtons are the same. You should consider rebedding the Manners with your barreled action. Then zero and enjoy.