• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith's Stereo Microscope...

Matt in Virginia

Minuteman
Apr 24, 2001
Chesapeake, Virginia
Gentlemen,
I picked up a New Nikon Stereo Microscope Body last year with the intention of using the 9x-40x Zoom Range(with 10x eyepieces) to judge sear and hammer surface preperation, lathe bits, etc.. At any rate the body appears to be new and never used, however, it is short the necessary focusable boom stand and two 10x eyepieces. My question is should I buy the parts for this scope or buy another scope that is a fully functional assembly? I've been unable to find any particulars on this scope and it has been difficult to find the appropriate Nikon Oculars and Boom Stand. I've been inundated with Chinese knockoffs, however, I truly hate junk...

Your input would be appreciated. I would rather have a Wild M420, however, I have more pressing equipment purchases such as a new Haas CNC Lathe. Priorities...(grin)
DSCF0006-6.jpg

DSCF0004-5.jpg

DSCF0003-6.jpg

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

Re: Gunsmith's Stereo Microscope...

I'd get a complete second hand set-up. We were lucky and got a huge set-up from IBM cheap a few years back. I work on injection moulding tools under the microscope every now and then. Best thing ever.
Many companies folding at the moment, maybe just keep eyes open on evil bay. We also have a slightly newer lighter Nikon than yours and it's as good as the Wild.
evil in germany
edi

Re: Gunsmith's Stereo Microscope...

I have an American Optical "Stereo Star." The boom is really quite a rigid piece of hardware; if you have access to machine tools you could build one yourself. If no machine tools, you might be able to hassle one together out of a drill press vise with X-Y movement. But it would be a kludge.

On mine, the scope rides up and down a dovetail similar to a machine way, which is the coarse focus. The fine focus is built into the scope, which I suspect is the way yours works too.

I suppose it would be neat to make one using a 12x24" granite surface plate as your base. I would actually prefer this over the base normally included on stereo scopes. You could mount your own lighting too... my American's lighting is barely adequate.