• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths what am I looking at here?

Huskydriver

Not here for a long time but here for a good time
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
SLC, Utah
So just got my Amazon sepecial Teslong borescope from the hide guys who helped get it made... Anyway to test it out I grabbed my brand new proof steel prefit for my axmc and whoa tool marks! Is this normal for the lead in? How about the tool marks in the rifling mid barrel?

Anyway borescope seems to work great with my Android and PC.

Teslong Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera with Short Focus Camera, Side-View Mirror, for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_py2qDbVPWE29D

WIN_20190801_15_54_43_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WIN_20190801_15_53_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190801_15_53_59_Pro.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IPC_2019-08-01.16.15.22.2080.jpg
    IPC_2019-08-01.16.15.22.2080.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IPC_2019-08-01.16.15.26.3310.jpg
    IPC_2019-08-01.16.15.26.3310.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 243
That sir, appears to be a barrel that needs installed and some rounds through it to see how it will shoot.

Also, some tool marks as you already noted.

I dont know crap. So I depend on people who do, to educate me, hence why I read a lot on here.
More experienced guys than either of us (Cross, Tooley, Dixon) often post to stop looking and go shoot.
Unless a barrel isnt shooting. Then look.

Go run a 100 through it this weekend and post a target.

I would suggest a relaxing beer after and believe you’re of a faith that doesnt do that.
So a nice lemonade.....

Reactions: PAYDIRT
That sir, appears to be a barrel that needs installed and some rounds through it to see how it will shoot.

Also, some tool marks as you already noted.

I dont know crap. So I depend on people who do, to educate me, hence why I read a lot on here.
More experienced guys than either of us (Cross, Tooley, Dixon) often post to stop looking and go shoot.
Unless a barrel isnt shooting. Then look.

Go run a 100 through it this weekend and post a target.

I would suggest a relaxing beer after and believe you’re of a faith that doesnt do that.
So a nice lemonade.....

I have no doubt it can shoot but we will find out tonight for sure...I have 2 other proof steel prefits that hammer.

Meh on the lemonade, too many carbs. Trying to keep this body chiseled into my 40ies ?

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
I had some real ugliness about 4 inches from the muzzle on my last Shilen barrel.

That barrel was amazing till it died.

These bore scopes are fun but I try not to put too much weight into what I see, sometimes things are better unseen.

I had some real ugliness about 4 inches from the muzzle on my last Shilen barrel.

That barrel was amazing till it died.

These bore scopes are fun but I try not to put too much weight into what I see, sometimes things are better unseen.

Some of the best gunsmiths will tell you that it really doesn't matter what the inside looks like - see what the bullet does down range and believe the bullet. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters, doesn't it?

Plus there's the argument about potential barrel damage due to running stuff down the bore that you probably shouldn't.

looks like a smidge of chatter but the tank treads are a lot for a custom barrel. I dont typically see that in things like bartleins, kreigers, mullerworks, schneiders but its not to say others dont see them in those brands. I certainly dont do the volume LRI and others do.

Savages shoot very well and their bores look like nothing but a tank drove through the whole thing. Like everyone else says shoot it and see how it does. You just might need a bit more cleaning than some and may need a few extra rounds on a clean barrel before she settles back in.

Yes the target tells all but accuracy is a lot of small things that add up to something.
For myself I take great pride in the finish and concentricity of throat. To the point of having a procedure to polish the throat before it leaves the shop. I've done that to every barrel I've chambered for the last 20+ years. That also means taking a reamer out of service sooner than most. That's what I can control as a smith. The most important cutting surface is the lead angle. I've seen the ugly and then even uglier throats. If anyone would like to buy reamers with probably 10-20 or more chambers left on them PM me. I need beer money.

Dave,

Polishing the throat before it leaves your shop, that would essentially mean the barrel is practically “broke in” when it leaves your shop?

Isn’t the first 10-20 rounds considered break in to smoothout the throat?

Not to put words in Dave’s mouth, but if you have ever shot any of his barrels from 0 rounds to many thousand you would see no real change in fouling, accuracy, or even velocity during that time. I have owned a few up to this point and they all have been perfect from round 1.

Looks like a fresh cut throat with a PTG reamer. Sorry Dave(not Tooley).

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
Dave,

Polishing the throat before it leaves your shop, that would essentially mean the barrel is practically “broke in” when it leaves your shop?

Isn’t the first 10-20 rounds considered break in to smoothout the throat?

yes it is essentially "broken in" when it leaves here. I've screwed barrels on and gone to a 1K BR match with zero rounds on the rifle. Of course it was a caliber and reamer combo I had decades of experience with. I just used the brass and load from the previous barrel and was off to the races. Fine tune the load for vertical after the first match or show up with two different powder charges and see which one showed the most promise.
I normally use the sighting in process on any rifle for my break in period. Also during that time I take one case and reload it over and over in search of my max load with a bullet powder combo. Destroy one case instead of hurting many. Understand I used to take my reloading gear to the range to do that. Now since I've moved I can get 200 yds. out the back of the shop. Makes it very easy to do with my reloading bench 25' away. While going through that procedure I clean after every shot. Maybe 8-10 rounds. I brush with solvent and let it soak while I reload the round. Patch it out and shoot again. Then I get into serious load development.
Works for me.

• Love
Reactions: Near miss and Dpp
Hi,

OT but you know spicy food increases calories burned so replace those lemons with jalapenos and the sugar with stevia and drink until your heart (well more than likely, your belly) is content.... :)

Sincerely,
Theis
real men use carolina reapers.

Looks like a fresh cut throat with a PTG reamer. Sorry Dave(not Tooley).

While ptg pisses me off those tank tracks at the first part can't be blamed on the reamer. Those marks are in a groove and beyond where the reamer cut. Those were made when the barrel was made.

So just got my Amazon sepecial Teslong borescope from the hide guys who helped get it made... Anyway to test it out I grabbed my brand new proof steel prefit for my axmc and whoa tool marks! Is this normal for the lead in? How about the tool marks in the rifling mid barrel?

Teslong Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera with Short Focus Camera, Side-View Mirror, for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_py2qDbVPWE29D

View attachment 7122215
I'm not a Gunsmith but I wouldn't use that barrel.

While ptg pisses me off those tank tracks at the first part can't be blamed on the reamer. Those marks are in a groove and beyond where the reamer cut. Those were made when the barrel was made.
Nope. The marks in the first pic are on the leade angle which moves up the land. You have a throat, which is just ahead of the case mouth, then an angle that breaks to the top of the land. Angle is the leade, which is cut by the throater or throat section of finish reamer. Whatever I see in the groove looks like it follows the lay of the helix, so not an issue there.

YMMV

JR

View attachment 7122215

No way that barrel is gonna shoot, I'll swing down and take it off your hands to save you the trouble...:p

If you are talking about the first photo, those marks wouldn't have been made during the rifling or lapping. Those marks were made by the reamer cutting the leade/throat. Some of the chatter marks in photos 2 and 3 were probably were made during rifling.

To the OP, assuming the chambering was otherwise correct, the barrel could shoot fine - I've seen some factory Savage and Remington barrels that shot well but were horror stories when viewed from a borescope. Given that Proof made the barrel and chambered it, I'd send them your photos and ask how they'd like to handle it. Worse case, they say it's fine, then shoot it and keep an eye on the copper deposits. If it shoots well and the machining marks smooth out through natural throat erosion, then all's well. If it collects copper to excess, you can try a product like Tubbs Final Finish.