• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmiths working on 1903-A3's?

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
I picked up a nice Springfield 1903-A3 a couple years ago and, until now, it has simply been a safe queen. I would like to take it out and enjoy it, but want to have it thoroughly examined by a gunsmith beforehand. It also needs some work done on the sights.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who either specializes in, or is good with, these rifles? Ideally, it would be someone in Virginia so that I could deliver the rifle in person. But, I am not opposed to shipping the rifle if need be.

Thanks a lot.

Springfield's are really easy to work on. Anyone can check the headspace, sights are easy to change if needed.

But if you really want it checked out (which wouldn't hurt anything) go to the CMP Bolt Action Forum and ask these guys. They'll line you up with someone in your area.

CMP Bolt Action Rifles - CMP Forums

I do agree these rifles should be shot, heaven knows I shoot the crap out of mine.

And by the way, pictures would be nice.

I picked up a nice Springfield 1903-A3 a couple years ago and, until now, it has simply been a safe queen. I would like to take it out and enjoy it, but want to have it thoroughly examined by a gunsmith beforehand. It also needs some work done on the sights.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who either specializes in, or is good with, these rifles? Ideally, it would be someone in Virginia so that I could deliver the rifle in person. But, I am not opposed to shipping the rifle if need be.

Thanks a lot.
M1903A3's are only "Springfields" in the generic sense. The original 03-a3 rifles were all manufactured by either Remington or LC Smith Corona Typewriter Co. In the 50's and 60's, when spare parts were cheap and widely available, a few private companies went into business manufacturing "new 03-A3's using cast receivers and surplus barrels, stocks and small parts. The cast receivers have been a safety issue. Examine your rifle's receiver ring. if it is marked with any thing other than "REMINGTON" or "SMITH-CORONA" the rifle should be considered suspect.

is your rifle pretty clean or is their a lot of grease in the barrel and action? For a gunsmith to properly check it it need to be cleaned. If you are comfortable dismantleing the rifle you could do it yourself or simply pay the gunsmith to do a thorough cleaning as part of the check. Expect maybe 2 to 4 hour labor charge for cleaning if its loaded with cosmoline preservative.

Thanks for the replies. It is a Smith Corona (Ser.# 4769XXX), with a barrel marking of 11/42. It appears to be nice shape. It is well-lubed, but is not packed with cosmoline. Consistent with the rule that nothing happens without pics, here is a pic of the rifle by itself and one of my two favorite rifles together:

I like the first two rifles better. The 'A3 looks pretty good to me, I bet its good to go. Wouldn't hurt to have the head space checked but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. The SC actions are darn strong actions, and accurate too.

Nice rifle, both of them.

I like the first two rifles better. The 'A3 looks pretty good to me, I bet its good to go. Wouldn't hurt to have the head space checked but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. The SC actions are darn strong actions, and accurate too.

Nice rifle, both of them.

I love the Garand. It is such a joy to shoot. The M40a1 build is great, but I more and more find myself drawn to old iron sighted battle rifles. I'm going to have the 1903 checked out and and really looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Google "Chuck in Denver" he is highly regarded on CMP/Culvers site for working on 03's. His thing is rebuilds though and from the looks of yours all you want is a safety/function check. Nice rifle.

PS - That Garand is looking pretty original - Lockbars, milled trigger guard, milled band on the rear handguard, is the front sight seal still on? Annealed heel? 41-42?

PS - That Garand is looking pretty original - Lockbars, milled trigger guard, milled band on the rear handguard, is the front sight seal still on? Annealed heel? 41-42?

I had Orion 7 in NY go over the rifle thoroughly before shooting it. They commented on how original it was and what good shape it was in. The seriel number dates to June 1942.

I had Orion 7 in NY go over the rifle thoroughly before shooting it. They commented on how original it was and what good shape it was in. The seriel number dates to June 1942.

It is a nice rifle. Orion should be able to gauge your headspace/function check an 03 if you desire to have that done.

You are smarter than me. Ill admit that for my two 03's I eye balled them and thought they looked great than I loaded them up and pulled the trigger on that first shot with a little trepidation.