• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guy being executed for 'sorcery'

i_Adam_i18

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
Olympia, WA
I couldn't help myself. I know I'm supposed to refrain from religious topics here but this is damn crazy. This guy got arrested by the "religious police" and is due to be executed for 'sourcery' because he had a TV show where he would claim to predict the future.

Sorcerer to be executed

Don't think Islam is dangerous? guess again. Thank goodness we live in Free America......for now. As long as we don't do what England did and let them overrun parts of the city. The police won't even patrol there anymore so it's basically under sharia law. Scary stuff. I lived in england for 2 years and there definitely were a lot of middle easterners there.

TV presenter gets death sentence for 'sorcery'By Mohammed Jamjoom, CNN
March 19, 2010 10:30 a.m. EDT

<span style="font-weight: bold">(CNN) -- Amnesty International is calling on Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah to stop the execution of a Lebanese man sentenced to death for "sorcery."

In a statement released Thursday, the international rights group condemned the verdict and demanded the immediate release of Ali Hussain Sibat, former host of a popular call-in show that aired on Sheherazade, a Beirut based satellite TV channel.

According to his lawyer, Sibat, who is 48 and has five children, would predict the future on his show and give out advice to his audience.

The attorney, May El Khansa, who is in Lebanon, tells CNN her client was arrested by Saudi Arabia's religious police (known as the Mutawa'een) and charged with sorcery while visiting the country in May 2008. Sibat was in Saudi Arabia to perform the Islamic religious pilgrimage known as Umra.

Sibat was then put on trial. In November 2009, a court in the Saudi city of Medina found Sibat guilty and sentenced him to death.

According to El Khansa, Sibat appealed the verdict. The case was taken up by the Court of Appeal in the Saudi city of Mecca on the grounds that the initial verdict was "premature."

El Khansa tells CNN that the Mecca appeals court then sent the case back to the original court for reconsideration, stipulating that all charges made against Sibat needed to be verified and that he should be given a chance to repent.

On March 10, judges in Medina upheld their initial verdict, meaning Sibat is once again sentenced to be executed.

"The Medina court refused the sentence of the appeals court," said El Khansa, adding her client will appeal the verdict once more.

The case has been covered extensively by local media. According to Arab News, an English language Saudi daily newspaper, after the most recent verdict was issued, the judges in Medina issued a statement expressing that Sibat deserved to be executed for having continually practiced black magic on his show, adding that this sentence would deter others from practicing sorcery. Arab News reports that the case will now return to the appeals court in Mecca.

CNN has not been able to reach Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Justice for comment.</span>

Re: Guy being executed for 'sorcery'

Is this somehow different from the horrible things done in the name of Christianity? Salem witch trials ring a bell? Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition? The fact is that really fucked up things can and have been done in the name of any religion. We really don't get to judge them by our standards because the fact is they have their own standards and according to those standards they are doing right, just as the Catholic church once thought it was right to torture and kill anyone who wasn't a Catholic in order to "save their souls." Not saying this is right just pointing out that Western religion historically hasn't done much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this somehow different from the horrible things done in the name of Christianity? Salem witch trials ring a bell? Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition? The fact is that really fucked up things can and have been done in the name of any religion. We really don't get to judge them by our standards because the fact is they have their own standards and according to those standards they are doing right, just as the Catholic church once thought it was right to torture and kill anyone who wasn't a Catholic in order to "save their souls." Not saying this is right just pointing out that Western religion historically hasn't done much better. </div></div>

Call me silly and I think the world has moved a bit forward in the last 200+ years.

Sorcery?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this somehow different from the horrible things done in the name of Christianity? Salem witch trials ring a bell? Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition? The fact is that really fucked up things can and have been done in the name of any religion. We really don't get to judge them by our standards because the fact is they have their own standards and according to those standards they are doing right, just as the Catholic church once thought it was right to torture and kill anyone who wasn't a Catholic in order to "save their souls." Not saying this is right just pointing out that Western religion historically hasn't done much better. </div></div>

Call me silly and I think the world has moved a bit forward in the last 200+ years.

Sorcery?
</div></div>

Apparently some of us have moved forward a bit more than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo-Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think he would have seen it coming </div></div>
BWAHAHAHAH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo-Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think he would have seen it coming </div></div>

I guess that proves he's innocent.

I predict that this thread won't be locked. I predict the sand people suck. I predict that the dude to be executed will be shaking hands with his lame god soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, the Inquisition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5McSEU48Y8

Cruel indeed. </div></div>

Now who could object to that persuasion?

Great flick!

As to the OP, the current times in the middle east are indistinguishable from 500 years ago in Spain and 400 years ago in Massachusetts. We surely surpass them in our awfulness; excellent analogy
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me silly and I think the world has moved a bit forward in the last 200+ years.

Sorcery?
</div></div>

Silly, you should see the evil wizards putting mortal men into suspended animation, chilling them, cutting apart their very hearts, and then bringing them back from the dead. Sorcery is alive and well in the west, and they must not allow such things there... er, wait, don't suppose they mind that particular parlor trick do they?

edit: and your avatar sayin' "Sorcery?" was needed in this thread, so thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this somehow different from the horrible things done in the name of Christianity? Salem witch trials ring a bell? Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition? The fact is that really fucked up things can and have been done in the name of any religion. We really don't get to judge them by our standards because the fact is they have their own standards and according to those standards they are doing right, just as the Catholic church once thought it was right to torture and kill anyone who wasn't a Catholic in order to "save their souls." Not saying this is right just pointing out that Western religion historically hasn't done much better. </div></div>

Ok, so what you are saying is this is just the same as Christianity, they are just a little behind the times since to my knowledge, the salem witch trials were in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">1692</span></span>? As far as I can tell, we live in a bit more civilized world now days and have learned many things. Am I to believe they just reject reality? "Historically" would be the key word in your post.

Also:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yp_l5ntikaU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yp_l5ntikaU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Some historical perspective

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CSe38dzJYkY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CSe38dzJYkY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this somehow different from the horrible things done in the name of Christianity? Salem witch trials ring a bell? Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition? The fact is that really fucked up things can and have been done in the name of any religion. We really don't get to judge them by our standards because the fact is they have their own standards and according to those standards they are doing right, just as the Catholic church once thought it was right to torture and kill anyone who wasn't a Catholic in order to "save their souls." Not saying this is right just pointing out that Western religion historically hasn't done much better.</div></div>

If you need to look back 400 years to the Salem witch trials or 800 years to the Inquisition to try to find a modicum of comparison, that is what is referred to as "grasping for straws".

It's a religious thread and it's locked.