• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

guys fom OHIO . Quick question about magazine law

trob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
Idaho
Hey guys, I am selling some 50rd AR57 magazines in the classified section and a buyer from Ohio wants to buy some. When I looked at my chart, it says that I can't ship mags that carry more than 30 rounds.

Now, I ship the same magazine to CA buyers, but I ship them disassembled and I sell them as rebuild kits for rebuilding hi-cap mags they owned prior to the ban. Basically, they can either use them outside CA, block them at 10 rounds, or rebuild their pre-ban magazines.

I'm wondering if there are exemptions like this for Ohio. Does anyone have experience with this? Can I ship them disassembled and be within the law?

Thanks

Tom

Re: guys fom OHIO . Quick question about magazine law

You can own magazines that hold more than 30 rounds in Ohio. You just cannot insert them into the gun with more than 30 rounds loaded. Then, by Ohio Law it becomes a machine gun or dangerous ordnance. You can apply with your local sheriff for a license to possess a dangerous ordnance, pursuant to ORC 2923.18. This allows any person who gets the license to possess the dangerous ordnance. I think the fee is $50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can own magazines that hold more than 30 rounds in Ohio. You just cannot insert them into the gun with more than thirty rounds in the magazine. Then, by Ohio Law it becomes a machine gun or dangerous ordnance. You can apply with your local sheriff for a license to possess a dangerous ordnance, pursuant to ORC 2923.18. This allows any person who gets the license to possess the dangerous ordnance. I think the fee is $50. </div></div>

Ok, cool. So I can ship them to him and he can block them if he wants to?

If I just wanted to be a wuss and ship them disassembled, would that cover all my bases?

Owning them is not in violation of the law. Inserting them in the the firearm with more than 30 rounds is. As long as he's aware of that and doesn't break the law he's fine. I see Glock 18 and Beta mags at gun shows all the time here in Ohio. Possession is legal...more than 30 rounds inserted is not.

ok cool.

thank you very much.

Go to ar15.com hometown I think theres a sticky to read through if you can make sence from the posts.