• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guys with a Seekins SP10, scope mount height?

canezach

House of Chingasos
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2014
    Colorado
    I'm planning on using a Vortex Gen2 4.5-27 that I have lying around on a Seekins SP10 that will be coming in a couple of months. By my calculations, the lowest mount I can get is 1.45", which gives me a clearance of 0.175". With the Defender caps, I *should* have just enough clearance, like 0.15".

I'm looking for two things: someone check my math, and hopefully someone using the exact same scope on an SP10 can confirm they have clearance with the Defender caps. Bonus points if you're using the Seekins MXM mount, since that's what I'm looking at. Thanks y’all!

Last edited:
    Have you tried calling Seekins and asking? They run a lot of vortex optics on their house guns.

Have you tried calling Seekins and asking? They run a lot of vortex optics on their house guns.
    I haven't, only because I'm not in a rush since I have a couple of months before my build is ready. I figured I'd ask the good folks here to check my math and see what they're running on their SP10, although I'm really interested in the Seekins mount

The clearance on an SP10 is no different than any other AR10 with a full pic rail. I use a 56mm objective kahles on an AR10 sometimes and a 1.5” spuhr mount is more than enough with aadland caps on it.

Reactions: canezach
    ^^^what he said
    Ultimately, it’s up to you to set your cheek anyway.

The other thing to remember, the lowest rings possible is old school. It’s bad practice now. It doesn’t even matter. Get whatever rings allow you the most comfortable cheek rest and NPA. Adjust the riser to make it comfortable. It will also help when cycling the charging handle.

Thank you, gents. I know the clearance on the SP10 isn't different than any other AR platform. My main concern was clearance with the caps, so I was looking at a minimum height. If someone had a 1.45" mount and it didn't give enough clearance for the caps, I'd bump up to a 1.5".

Any benefit to cantilever over straight mount?

Cantilever mounts can help with getting proper eye relief. However the Gen2 razor has some of the most forgiving eye relief out there.

My Gap10 Gen2 (Seekins setup) came with a Badger 306-97 unimount, 1.4" high 30mm. Per picture below, it was perfect with the AMG's 50mm objective and Defender caps. Now the G2R has a 56mm objective that has an OD of 2.55" vs the AMG of 2.32". That puts the bell about .120" closer to the rail, so a 1.55" height to center would be about perfect. Remember that with a 20moa cant on the bell ends up a bit closer to the rail than the ocular. The 1.45" measurement is at mount midpoint.
    For a unimount with a 56mm bell, I would probably go with a Badger 306-98 or better yet, the 154-342B. Otherwise, rings or Spuhr SP-4602 or 4603.
    20170424_224033[1].jpg

Check this post on Seekins' Facebook page.

119677067_3302004026549073_6048946692562589887_n[1].jpg

Rifle: Seekins Precision M Series with their billet iRMT-3 upper and SP10 lower & full Ambi controls
    Handguard: Seekins 15” SP3RV3 M-Lok
    Arca Swiss Rail: Seekins MRAS M Lok
    Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
    Barrel : 22” Seekins 5R machined 416 stainless steel barrel with 1:8 twist
    Gas Block: Seekins Select Adjustable Gas Block
    Stock: Seekins ProComp 10X fully adjustable stock
    Grip: Magpul MOE+ grip
    Trigger: @timneytriggersusa Single Stage, 3lb pull
    Scope: @vortexoptics Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27
    Scope Mount: Vortex Optics Precision cantilever Mount

Muzzle Device: SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake
    Suppressor: @silencerco Omega 300 with the ASR QD Mount

The Vortex mount he lists, if 20moa, is 1.574" to ring center. Looks like it has just enough clearance for Defender caps.