• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guys with SS media cleaners...

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
Do you clean the brass prior to resizing and depriming, after or both? I ask because a buddy of mine said to do it before so you don't get the carbon stuff in your resizer and scratch future cases. So I did it that way and then realized the primer pocket wasn't getting clean which was one of the benefits to the SS.

So do I put them in and run it again or just clean it and go on?

Curious to what y'all do.

Re: Guys with SS media cleaners...

Longtime lurker here.

I bought a lee de-priming die for use with this type of tumbler so I won't damage my sizing die. The lee die does not size the case at all. It just de-primes.

It was cheap, just remember to include one on your next mail order purchase if there's not a decent reloading supply shop in your area.

Occationally, two ss media pins will get stuck in the primer pocket. Watch for that.

I go ahead and resize before tumbling. I don't want to have to clean the sizing lube again.

1) Punch out primers with Lee decapping die.
2) Clean with SS media
3) Anneal cases (every 3rd firing)
4) Dry cases
5) Sizes cases using water soluable lube (RCBS).
6) Toss cases in a vibatory tumlber with fin corn cob and wet
media with a spray bottle containing water & Lemishine.
Run for 10 Minutes and seprerate.
7) Inspect case as I prime.
8) Powder & Bullet
9) Repeat

Terry

Thanks guys...that makes a lot of sense. Can you tell I'm a newbie
smile.gif
Loaded for a ladder test this week and it was my first rolled shells in the metallic world. It is a lot more work than shotgun shells that you can reload 250 in 40 minutes haha!

I run the cases through walnut media in my vibrator tumbler then deprime, resize, trim and swage. After all that then I run them through the SS treatment.

I decap first with a Neal Jones hand decapper. You can decap while watching tv and never have to go into the reloading room. Works for me.

If you tumble after each cycle then your brass should not get too dirty and to save time I often just deprime, resize and then tumble making for a more streamlined system.
Can't see a difference on paper even with an accurate bench gun so am less anal now about it. Keep a q-tip handy and give a clean swipe inside the sizing die periodically to keep lube from building and not allow junk to build up.

Heck the serious benchrest guys that shoot .01" groups just wipe the cases down lightly with a rag and then reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mojo Daddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run the cases through walnut media in my vibrator tumbler then deprime, resize, trim and swage. After all that then I run them through the SS treatment.</div></div>

+1

This also lets me sort by headstamp first if I'm shooting something like 223 where I have bulk loads and precision loads that are separated by headstamp.