• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Guys with US Optics experience...

jaydoski

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
california
I'm trying to decide between the us optics 1.8-10x ergo jng mil reticle or the tpal c2 reticle. I plan to put this on a 308 semi auto rifle. I prefer the c2 reticle cuz it seems much faster than the jng mil reticle at 1.8x but I hear that the ergo has slightly better glass and is less finicky for parallax adjustment. For you guys that have seen both reticles, do you think the faster CQB c2 reticle is worth getting for less glass quality? Or is the jng mil reticle fast enough at 1.8x that sacrificing glass quality and ease of use with the ergo over the c2 worth it?

Re: Guys with US Optics experience...

Glass is same quality, just more lenses with tpal. I had a JNG MIL ergo and it was okay, can get a bit cluttered. I dumbed it down a bit with the GAP MIL reticle on my current USO, less clutter is good in my book. I wanted the C2 bad, but didn't want tpal. Now that I've seen it, I'm glad I went the direction I did. It's okay for cqb and okay for precision, I wouldn't say it's great at either though. My thing is you have about a two pound scope on your rifle, not too cqb friendly.

If I really need fast close up, I'll close the objective cap, turn the illumination all the way up, and use the bindon aiming concept... but that's me.

I'm with you, I want the c2 reticle but I don't really want the TPAL. I imagined myself using the jng reticle as more of a red-dot in 1.8x but the circle seems a bit too small to pick up quickly. US Optics really need to make that c2 in the ergo versions.

Good point about the USO scopes tho, they are a bit on the heavy side for close up stuff... Prob should leave that to the Eotechs or Aimpoints... Thx for the input.

Anyone here used the barrett grid reticle? I literally can't find any comments about it on the web. Looks like a pretty nice layout which I actually went ahead and ordered on my new SN3 but wondered what people thought about it.

No idea about that model, but I do have a loaded ST-10 and its a grea tough scope. One of the last I would part with.

JNG MIL at 1.8X:

USOJNG18.jpg

Not the best pic, but you can get an idea.

Thanks for the scope pic! That actually does help a lot... Judging from your picture I think it should be ok for close up stuff... The JNG mil to me seems like a better reticle at 10x than the c2 though just because the lines are thinner. I think after looking at your picture I'm starting to lean towrards the JNG mil. Still tho I love the idea of the c2 and the way it works like an Eotech at 1.8x with the large ring around the target to make it easier for finding the center. Something inbetween the JNG mil and c2 would be pretty awesome and I'd jump all over it! Wink wink to the guys over at US Optics if yer listening.
smile.gif

I have a C2 reticle in a USO 1.5 - 6 on my patrol rifle. Love it. Way superior to the ACOG I was using.

On the 1.5 setting with the illum on, it acts almost like a red dot. Very fast on acquisition of targets and it naturally centers on the target. At the 6x setting, it is a very precise scope out to several hundred yards. Certainly longer range than I would ever expect to use a patrol rifle.

Both the C2 reticle and the JNG reticle have some similarities. But I believe the C2 is specifically designed with close-in work in mind. It is has some interesting subtensions built-in (head, chest, etc.)

The guys at USO can give you more info on the C2 design specifics. In fact, if you ask DOC76251 on this site, I am pretty sure he designed the C2 reticle and can tell you all about how it is set up to work. It is well-thought-out.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Have you gone to USO? It's one of the best ways to find out what's possible. I've been a few times and have learned something each time.

Thx for the input Sirhrmechanic. I was kind of thinking to use my scope along the lines of what you're using it for (except my targets are paper bad guys :p). I prefer it to use more at the low end and have the option of cranking it up when needed. After everyone's input and some deep thinking I decided to go with the c2 reticle. Thanks again for the help guys.

Nice pix! I really like the c2 reticle for the close up stuff but at 10x I could see the heavier lines could be a problem for people trying to shoot long distance for accuracy. Still looks usable at long distances except for maybe small targets like prairie dogs. How do you like your c2 reticle at 10x at distances like 600 yards+? Do you find the lines too thick for longer ranges?

I'll be at Angeles Saturday morning if you want to play with a 1.8-10X37. Just let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaydoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pix! I really like the c2 reticle for the close up stuff but at 10x I could see the heavier lines could be a problem for people trying to shoot long distance for accuracy. Still looks usable at long distances except for maybe small targets like prairie dogs. How do you like your c2 reticle at 10x at distances like 600 yards+? Do you find the lines too thick for longer ranges? </div></div>

I've only taken it to 200. The only 600 yard range is a private club with a 2+ year waiting list, unfortunately. I'm looking forward to a few trips east in our state to hit 600+. Everything west out here is short range. The line thickness is on the thicker side. The schematic shows .1mrad and the center of the crosshair is open. It is definitely a "jack of all trades" reticle and makes some compromises. I am not sure if the reticle has changed as mine was one of the first out the door.