• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gvernment/LEO issue only mags

460mag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Longview, Tx
If this subject has been run in the ground please accept my apologies up front.
Hypothetical question- Lets say a young jarhead returns from the sand box with a few overlooked government issued M-16 mags that were somehow lost in the bottom of his duffel bag.
Would there be any legal issues with him possesing them?

Re: Gvernment/LEO issue only mags

Dude, that's a California, New York, New Jersey, or Hawaii only issue(or any other AFU state). I came back from OEF VII with a sea bag full of so much crap, and holy smoke, when I dumped it out a whole bunch of those really bad illegal mags fell out. Still have a few but they sit in a box of 'stuff' that is no longer used. I wonder if all those nasty 30 round p-mags I got will get me in trouble
grin.gif

If your feeling guilty, send them to my house. I will wear them out...I mean dispose of them for you.

Did you just ask if it was OK to steal property on the web.....

Good hell I know that stolen mags aren't exactly cause for the death penalty but why post it on a public forum?

They're fine, just don't say that you are the one who re-appropriated them.

I can see were a young Marine could get confused when I was overseas we turned in everything and had to account for everything before we left. I have a friend deployed a year after me and there unit was tossing them in the dumpster. So would you toss them or re-appropriate? I know what I would do.

we left the states with our mags, and carried them back too, as long as you aren't in one of the commie states you are fine, anyone can buy those things on gunbroker and a multitude of other sites

I realize we are all from diffrent education levels, and possess different comprehension skills. Im hoping this may level the playing field a little.

hy·po·thet·i·cal (hī'pə-thět'ĭ-kəl)
adj. 1.Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis: a hypothetical situation. See Synonyms at theoretical.

a.Suppositional; uncertain. See Synonyms at supposed.

b.Conditional; contingent.

n. A hypothetical circumstance, condition, scenario, or situation: OK, let's consider this possibility then—just as a hypothetical.

[From Greek hupothetikos, from hupothetos, placed under, supposed, from hupotithenai, to suppose; see hypothesis.]
hy'po·thet'i·cal n., hy'po·thet'i·cal·ly adv.

Holy shit, they're knocking on my door. Im out. Check yall later.

Oh I get it now. OK

If you are only hypothetically asking if it is ok to steal something then you should just hypothetically steal it...rather than really posting the hypothetical possibility that you may steal it on an open forum
wink.gif

If someone says throw it away it is then considered trash. Trash is ok to take as it is unacceptable to the one who throws it out and therefore is not stealing.
IF these metal magazines are tossed out like garbage after one year of use, or 'fobbit' held with 20 rounds so the spring won't set, then I'll take whatever is tossed out. I think they bring great barter value as some people can actually use them, and rebuilding them is cheap

For anyone who may be jumpin to conclusions. I personally returned from the sand box in April of 91. The only items I returned with that I did not take with me are sand in every crack and crevis, some really cool foot funk that plagues me to this day,a resistance to anthrax, and a bigger salad bowl.
Age alone rules my ass out of the posed hypothetical question.
The hypothetical question I asked is of legal pretense, not moral. Its intent was to make a point to a personl aquaintance.
If in fact, the hypothetical question were true, the question of morals and/or integrity would already be a moot issue.
Further more, I am very aware that this site is not a legal resource. I was simply looking for reasonable thoughts and or experiences from literate people only.
Im going to throw this out there again in a different format. If you cannot add something that is useful to the question at hand, stay on your own porch.
Are there any LEGAL consequences, to a civilian possessing a magazine that very clearly states, in stamped letters and on both sides,for govt/law enforcement use only?

Respectfully,

MGC

No, unless you are in one of the aforementioned states which prohibits said mag on the basis of its capacity.

If it is 15 rounds or less, not modified and not stolen... I believe you are good to go in New Jersey.

Apparently I was wrong in my opinion. I will rectify my statement to him. Hopefully he hasnt followed thru with my advice.
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mis-guided child</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any LEGAL consequences, to a civilian possessing a magazine that very clearly states, in stamped letters and on both sides,for govt/law enforcement use only?</div></div>
In Texas (and states other than those already listed) that stamp only meant anything from 1994 to 2004.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bub308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a friend deployed a year after me and there unit was tossing them in the dumpster. So would you toss them or re-appropriate? I know what I would do. </div></div>

Thats what happens when the government is in charge. Waste, Waste, Waste, Waste!
mad.gif
Just throw those away, the tax payers will by more. One mans trash or one governments trash is another mans treasure.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mis-guided child</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently I was wrong in my opinion. I will rectify my statement to him. Hopefully he hasnt followed thru with my advice.
Thanks. </div></div>

If ever your lil buddy wants to get rid of some of his kit I'll be more than happy to take it off his hands.

Fucking Christ. Its Texas, no one cares what you have as far as mag cap.

No issues with or without the stamp.

Unless their status has changed, magazines were considered expendable items when I was in. This pretty much puts them on the same level as a tooth brush or lug nut. Once they leave supply, no one really gave a shit what happened to them unless the person who received them was back in a few days asking for more.

A few mags in the bottom of a duffel bag is nothing to be concerned about nor is it theft in my opinion, particularly if it was unintentional. Walking out of a warehouse with a case or two is something else entirely.

The only mags I've heard being controlled, tracked or even given a shit about were the H&K "wonder" mags.

Speaking of, I never thanked you for those 2 cases of HK wonder mags you gave me back in 96.
laugh.gif

Mags, like 782 gear, cold weather gear and so on.... If you can purchase like items at the pawn shop or surplus store right off the base, you can possess it. Meaning, from my experience if you "lost an item in the field" you simply went off base and picked one up for your ruck muster. Granted that applies to the "simple shit" and the supply stiffs would tell you to do just that... go buy what you are missing. Just don't lose a Hummer and a couple SAW's.

BTW, If your hypothetical friend wants to unload said items, I have a few friends in Marshall that would accommodate him/ her. &#61514;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of, I never thanked you for those 2 cases of HK wonder mags you gave me back in 96.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Why certainly
wink.gif

And even in Kali, possession of high cap mags are not illegal in of it self. You are just supposed to have owned them in state prior to 2001 IIRC, but honestly, how is anyone to prove that you didn't own them prior? it is for the most part an uninforcable law.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And even in Kali, possession of high cap mags are not illegal in of it self. You are just supposed to have owned them in state prior to 2001 IIRC, but honestly, how is anyone to prove that you didn't own them prior? it is for the most part an uninforcable law. </div></div>

You are correct, and inasmuch as every component of the magazine is legally replaceable, if you had 30 rd mags prior to the CA ban, and the mag body was damaged, it is perfectly legal to buy a mag body to replace it, and you might find a good deal on some used ones with the "military/law enforcement use only" stamp on them. So really no problem here either.