• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H-4350 fps question?

Bryan marks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2018
So I’ll start by saying I do not have a chronograph which would be the answer to my question. I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5 creed. 26” stock barrel. My load is hornady brass. 140 eld-m bullet cci br2 primer. H-4350 powder Loaded Just under mag length. When I did my load development I started to see pressure signs around 41.8 and started popping primers at 42.2. The load I went with was 41.5 if I shoot anything around 42.0 I get pretty major pressure signs. I have read on the forum that a lot of people are loading way past 42.0 grains with no issues. So I just don’t know why my gun shows pressure signs at such a low powder charge. When I trued my data in a few different apps it’s telling me my fps is 2850 that seems awful High for 41.5 grains of H-4350 pushing a 140. Has anyone seen major variation from lot to lot with this powder. I do not have the lot number right now but I can get it when I get home. Does this make sense to anyone?

Seen as much as 20-30fps between lots, if you're cracking a new keg you need to Chrono and possibly adjust by a tenth of a grain to stay at the target velocity

Reactions: Steel head
So I’ll start by saying I do not have a chronograph which would be the answer to my question. I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5 creed. 26” stock barrel. My load is hornady brass. 140 eld-m bullet cci br2 primer. H-4350 powder Loaded Just under mag length. When I did my load development I started to see pressure signs around 41.8 and started popping primers at 42.2. The load I went with was 41.5 if I shoot anything around 42.0 I get pretty major pressure signs. I have read on the forum that a lot of people are loading way past 42.0 grains with no issues. So I just don’t know why my gun shows pressure signs at such a low powder charge. When I trued my data in a few different apps it’s telling me my fps is 2850 that seems awful High for 41.5 grains of H-4350 pushing a 140. Has anyone seen major variation from lot to lot with this powder. I do not have the lot number right now but I can get it when I get home. Does this make sense to anyone?
Guns are individuals. I’ve loaded for a bunch of creedmoors and can’t recall a single one that went over 42 gr for a final load. Load for function(not ragged edge pressure) and accuracy, then call it good.

I am shooting the 147 ELD-M at AVG 2786 sd=8.6 older 8 lb jug. I just opened a new 8lb jug and the FPS was retested the load and it ended up being 2781 sd=7.9 but the temp is no 20 degrees cooler than when I first worked up my load. accuracy was right at .398 average over 3 5 shot groups

Reactions: Bryan marks
Are you sure. I believe AI mags will hold about 2.89"? 2.84 had me around .020 off. It might be worth a double check.

Are you sure. I believe AI mags will hold about 2.89"? 2.84 had me around .020 off. It might be worth a double check.
I’ll take some measurements when I get home but my Howa has a long throat. Im a bit off mag length but longer then factory. I’m running p-mags. I’m pretty good about checking max cbto with every lot of bullets because I have seen as much as 10thou difference in the 140 led-m between lots

Make sure your not crimping the case when you seat the bullet. I know dies will crimp even though no one does for precision rifle loads. Put a case in your seater without a bullet make sure you don't feel any resistance. Check your instructions that came with the die too see how to set them up with no crimp.

Make sure your not crimping the case when you seat the bullet. I know dies will crimp even though no one does for precision rifle loads. Put a case in your seater without a bullet make sure you don't feel any resistance. Check your instructions that came with the die too see how to set them up with no crimp.
Yup I’ve checked that. I’m using a hornady match micrometer seater but thanks that would cause pressure.

Next time you're at a match I am at, you can run some rounds through my lab-radar. But I would highly suggest a chronograph... With modern ballistic apps I almost never need to "true" for the ranges we shoot in PRS, saves time and effort.

I must have a slow batch of H4350 (or in my case ADI 2209) as I’m using Lapua 308 Palma cases formed to 6.5CM CCI450 & 140 ELD-M’s over 42.8gr in a Howa HCR with a 26” barrel and I’m only getting about 2750fps. I got some pressure at 43.1 and definate pressure at 43.7gr. 43.7 only gave me around 2830fps from memory. I’ve used this load for seating tests from 0.003” off up to 0.023” off and noticed no change in pressure signs.
So maybe you got lucky and got a faster batch of H4350? It’ll be interesting to see what your actual muzzle velocity is.

While H4350 isn't a dirty as say RL16, have you checked for a carbon ring?

I ran 3 different lots this year with a 6.5cm. All using 140 ELD-m, Hornady brass, CCI200's and 41.4-41.6 grains of powder.

Lot 1 : 2830
Lot 2 : 2810
Lot 3 : 2800

24" Proof barrel with Omega can. When I push up to the 42 grain range, I'm in the 2850+ and start to see pressure.