• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors H&K P30L FTE problems

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
I'm having some issues with my HK P30L. When the chamber is clean I can run two full magazines through it (approximately 30 rounds) without a single hiccup. However after that it progressively has more FTE problems till it reaches the point where EVERY round will either FTE or fail to fully leave the gun before the slide closes. As soon as I clean my chamber this goes away. I have shot HSM 123gr 9mm and PMC 123gr 9mm through it and still have the same issues.

Some possible fixes I can think of is to clean the chamber every 2 magazines until the problem goes away (break in period), try a lower pressure ammunition or try some higher quality ammunition. However I have no clue if any those will slove my problem. My only previous experience is with a Kimber .45 Custom II and it has never had an issue.

Thanks.

Re: H&K P30L FTE problems

Normally in this kind of situation, I would recommend customer service with a new pistol that isn't shooting properly, but since it is an HK...that route can take a while to put it mildly and you may or may not get it fixed. (Don't get me wrong...I own numerous HK pistols and rifles and I wouldn't trade them for anything...but their CS is slow, unresponsive and generally not concerned with civilian CS issues in comparison to their Mil/LE side of things).

That said...here are a few important questions:

1) how many total rounds do you have through the pistol (it shouldn't be having the probs you describe regardless of the round count, but a few hundred rounds as a "break in" period isn't out of line IMO)?

2) are you lubing it per the factory instructions, with a proper lubricant?

3) before you begin firing, are you certain that the bore and chamber are free from oil/lube/etc.?

Pending those questions...I would try running some different ammo through it. I am not a big fan of HSM ammo as I have found too many inconsistencies with it (OAL, powder charge differences, etc.). Try just some plain old Winchester white box (Wally World special) ammo, Federal/AE, Speer Lawman, etc. and see if it makes any difference.

Total round count is fairly high for a new pistol at 280 rounds. I am lubing the pistol per what the HK manual is perscribing. I will finish the remaining PMC ammo I have (70 rounds) and pick up some plain jane Winchester ammo. I'll double check the chamber and bore before I fire it again though, I'm actually heading out now to go do that.

It could also be an extractor problem (fouled/dirty, etc.) in addition to a chamber problem.

I'll be interested to see if this keeps up. That is a weird malfunction for one of these pistols.

Re: H&K P30L FTE problems *UPDATE with pictures*

Alright just ran 68 rounds through the pistol. The first 31 rounds were with a dry chamber and bore and the remaining 37 rounds were with a slightly lubed chamber and bore. I had FTE on rounds 22, 24, 25, 31 and 59. Here are the pictures in order.

wlyek7.jpg

2u3wsjo.jpg

2n19s46.jpg

ru8t8o.jpg

There were no FTE from the chamber this time out but the more I shoot the more they appear (amount of rounds after cleaning, so right around 40 or 50 they start appearing). As far as I can tell the extractor is clean and functioning properly (It also doubles as the loaded chamber indicator).

Total round count is now at 350 rounds. 250 have been HSM 123gr FMJs and 100 have been PMC 115gr FMJs. The rounds fired today were the PMC 115gr FMJs.

I think its worth to call H&K, the one time I had an issue with a new pistol (firing pin bushing) they send me a replacement part via priority mail - was 2005 & maybe their CS has changed but certainly work the call. May also want to check the H&K forums too.

I think the problem is under powered ammo. Before you go to any additional expense or trouble, I would suggest getting some 124 gr ammo generating at least 1150fps. Some +p might be better, and run at least a 100 rounds or so through it. Also check out the HKPRO forums as ths topic is frequently discussed. The P30L likes hot ammo until it throughly breaks in. I believe the heavier slide makes it slightly less tolerant of low powered ammo like the PMC than the standard P30.

If I can get my hands on them I'll try some +P's and even some +P+'s. Thanks for the tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm having some issues with my HK P30L. When the chamber is clean I can run two full magazines through it (approximately 30 rounds) without a single hiccup. However after that it progressively has more FTE problems till it reaches the point where EVERY round will either FTE or fail to fully leave the gun before the slide closes. As soon as I clean my chamber this goes away. I have shot HSM 123gr 9mm and PMC 123gr 9mm through it and still have the same issues.

Some possible fixes I can think of is to clean the chamber every 2 magazines until the problem goes away (break in period), try a lower pressure ammunition or try some higher quality ammunition. However I have no clue if any those will slove my problem. My only previous experience is with a Kimber .45 Custom II and it has never had an issue.

Thanks.</div></div>
This may or may not have a bearing on the situation but what temperature is it when you are shooting the HK? The reason I am asking is that being that you live in Alaska the temps there might have an adverse effect on using certain types of lubricant. (I did see that you also ran it without any lubrication.) Just be mindfull of that when shooting during colder temps. Light weight weapon grease can really slow things down in the cold. I agree with running some hotter ammo and see if that corrects your problem. Also, some autos will not function right if they are held by a person with a weaker wrist/grip (Limp wristing). Not trying to tell you that you have a weak grip but trying to point out a problem area that can cause cycling issues.
Good luck with the P-30L, we have the P-30 standard length barrel and love it...........SmokeRolls

I dont think I am limp wristing it because I can hit a clay pigeon most of the time at 20 yards with it aiming dead on. The temperatures have never been colder than 40F and today it was roughly 60F-65F. I used Hoppes Number 9 to lube the barrel today and it is usually what I run in all my firearms with the exception of my .308s (i use graphite). The Hoppes only gums up at 20F and lower. My shooting today was done shooting off of a bluff at a downward angle of about 45 degrees, I can maintain my sight picture when firing. I'll get someone who shoots pistol to take a look at my form though.

The burnt out car in picture 4 is down by where I was shooting if it gives you a frame of referrence. The pictures were taken with an iPhone.

I have had great satisfaction with their CS and I recommend contacting them. I would also post this on the hkpro forum as some of those guys are experts at this stuff. All you have to do to get hold of HK CS is call them and get the address to ship the pistol along with the work order number. I have used their CS twice and both times received my pistol back in a week's time.

I would also try SLIP EWL, which I believe is tolerant of very low temps without gumming up. EWL is slippery as snot and will probably decrease the effort to cycle the action.

Video of you firing the weapon and of the problem occurring will help immensely in trying to determine the problem.

I am trying to get my hands on some better ammunition. If I had a video camera I would take a video and post it for you guys. My pistol form is what my stepdad told me: take the recoil in your arm not the wrists. I can't describe it but I am keeping my wrists locked when I fire the weapon, be it my .45 or the 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think I am limp wristing it because I can hit a clay pigeon most of the time at 20 yards with it aiming dead on.</div></div>

That will not tell you if you are limp wristing or not. Those failures appear to be consistent with limp wristing because the ejector is beginning to toss the spent casing through the ejection port but cannot finish the job. That tells me that you are probably allowing the pistol to recoil in a manner that does not maintain enough control over the frame, allowing both the frame and the slide to gain substantial (relative) momentum. If that happens, the slide will either never move fully to the rear or not move fully to the rear for long enough. Even if you are attempting to take most of the recoil in the "arms", as you stated, you should not get too relaxed with the wrists or you will see these malfunctions. Under powered ammo could be the culprit, but most of the stuff on the market should cycle the HK no problem.

Josh