• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing H&M Metal Processing - Melonite Nitriding

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
I tried to go back and edit my old posts about this in order to update them but I can't find them, so I thought I'd start a new thread that would pop up when people are searching about melonite, salt bath nitride, ferritic nitrocarburizing, black nitride or nitriding rifle barrels.

The long and short is that I sent 4 barrels to H&M: A cut rifled stainless 5R Bartlein 284, a CBI button rifled stainless 7mm-08 prefit for a savage, a CBI button rifled stainless 308 for a savage and a 4130 308 Savage takeoff.

The 284 had 48 rounds fired prior to melonite. The 708 had ~100, the CBI 308 ~200 and the savage takeoff was unknown, though I was told it was about 200.

The 284 never printed a good group prior to, or after melonite. It was later sent back to bartlein and replaced (thank you Bartlein).

The 7-08 shot pretty nice prior to melonite.

The CBI 308 shot fabulously prior to melonite.

I never shot the Savage takeoff prior to melonite (still haven't shot it yet).

After melonite, the 708 and CBI 308 shot like ass. I worked up new loads, and tried a lot of different things and was *certain* the barrels were fucked.

I WAS MISTAKEN

Some VERY aggressive polishing/lapping of the 708 barrel got it shooting beautifully - better than it had ever shot to begin with, although it shows pressure earlier than it did before and lost a little velocity. It had been at ~2800fps with the 162amax with 46.5gr H4350, and now it is ~2750 with 45.5gr H4350. These are/were max loads.

Once the 708 "came back to life", I REALLY got after the CBI 308 barrel, lapping/polishing/cleaning the hell out of it. I just couldn't get it to shoot well. The barrel had shot the 175smk and 178hpbt (hornady) extremely well, but for whatever reason, won't shoot them well after the melonite. However, it shoots the 155 Scenar into bugholes now. Because it *had* shot the 178 so well prior, I had bought 1000 of them and tried everything to get them to work. I did full load workups with Varget, H4895, Reloder 15, PP2000 and maybe another powder or two, but I just couldn't get a sub-moa group out of them. Something about the melonite made the barrel not like this bullet anymore. It shoots the 175smk ok, but not as well as it did before.

Bottom line is that I had given 'hide members the distinct impression that Melonite/H&M had ruined at least one barrel, and that was wrong. The barrel's characteristics changed, but it has at least as much accuracy potential as it ever did.

ETA: The importance of RIGOROUS (and I mean **rigorous**) cleaning/polishing of your barrel once you get it back from Melonite (at least from H&M) can't be understated. You're not going to hurt it...so get AFTER IT with heavy doses of JB. If you're not cringing from what you're doing to the barrel, you're not doing it hard enough.

Last edited:
Does all the polishing and lapping scrape the melonite off? I like the way this stuff looks, but I am worried about resurfacing the bore.

Did you try changing the OALs with 175 SMK? I don't reload myself, but, after reading an interesting article on this subject, I have experimented with custom loads using the same exact load but varying the OAL with surprising results. For example, it turns out my .308 does not like the bullet right on the lands.

MarineMD said:
Does all the polishing and lapping scrape the melonite off? I like the way this stuff looks, but I am worried about resurfacing the bore.

Melonite is a process, a heat treatment - NOT a coating. You can't "scrape off" a heat treament.

The process produces a thin layer of metal ~75 Rockwell "C". For comparison sake, soft annealed steel is 20-25 Rc, a barrel blank is ~30Rc, knife blades and hand tools are ~55-60Rc.

So, measure the diameter of one of your ratchet wrench sockets with a micrometer, grab some JB Bore paste and attempt to dimensionally alter the diameter of that socket with the JB.

Good luck.

MarineMD said:
Did you try changing the OALs with 175 SMK? I don't reload myself, but, after reading an interesting article on this subject, I have experimented with custom loads using the same exact load but varying the OAL with surprising results. For example, it turns out my .308 does not like the bullet right on the lands.

Yes, I tried full load workups.

I don't find it surprising you found 175smk shot well with a jump, considering Remingtons seem to shoot just fine with throats so long that bullets would fall out of the case before you could reach the lands.

Melonite is a process, a heat treatment - NOT a coating. You can't "scrape off" a heat treament.

The process produces a thin layer of metal ~75 Rockwell "C". For comparison sake, soft annealed steel is 20-25 Rc, a barrel blank is ~30Rc, knife blades and hand tools are ~55-60Rc.

So, measure the diameter of one of your ratchet wrench sockets with a micrometer, grab some JB Bore paste and attempt to dimensionally alter the diameter of that socket with the JB.

Good luck.

Yes, I tried full load workups.

I don't find it surprising you found 175smk shot well with a jump, considering Remingtons seem to shoot just fine with throats so long that bullets would fall out of the case before you could reach the lands.

Thanks for the info on Melonite. It sounds intriguing. Any place you recommend for further reading?

Glad to hear about this in some ways, namely that the barrels you spent so much money on aren't FUBAR. I'm not thrilled with the policy of spending that kind of funds to have a barrel SBN'd and then spending hours polishing and cleaning the bore to get it back to shooting again.

My 6.5 Creedmoor Bartlein shot the same size groups at the same velocity before and after going to H&M for nitriding. I am very happy with the result and if it holds up well, I'll be sending a whole lot more stuff to them in the future. Added barrel life is a plus if it works out that way, but I did it for the corrosion resistance more than anything.

Maybe someone could clarify the corrosion resistance part. I thought I remembered Frank, from Bartlein, saying this process decreased the corrosion resistance of stainless steel and increased it for chromoly.

Turbo, sorry you had such issues. I had my barrel melonited before it was ever shot. My gunsmith sent it out directly after chambering it. It has shot very well right from the get go, doing touching shots at 300 yards. I have one group of 5 that are .74MOA while zeroing the scope at 300yds, with two pairs touching. I have one group at .42MOA at 300yards, and a couple load development groups at .85MOA with horizontal displacement due to windage---I am not the best at reading wind, and it picked up late in my range session. I have a group at 300 yards with three holes touching side by side in .7" (sub .25MOA) and two holes below causing a total width of .68MOA and a total height of .59MOA for 5 shot group, which I attribute to my failure to read wind speed and Mirage which both kicked up on the last two shots.

Later that afternoon we took it to 565 yards and got a four shot group of less than 2.75" extreme spread (.42MOA adjusted for bullet diameter) with the 5th shot missing the top corner of the target, I'm sure I pulled it, as I was shooting fast as the sun's light disappeared----the corner of the paper was very close to the group, so it "could" have been 5 shots as small as 2.75" wide and 2.0"x1.89", or less than 3.1" extreme spread, or .55MOA, with me as operator---I am not a professional at all.

I look forward to doing better. I have only 50 shots through the barrel, and am still in load development., but the accuracy of the barrel is not disputed, as I know I am not that good as a shot.

Me and a couple of buddies have sent 5 different 1911s to H&M and the results have been spectacular. It's tough, too. I carry my government model nearly everyday and I can't find a mark on it after six months. I had them finish my stainless hammer and firing pin stop, and the finish on the hammer strike area is even holding up. They have come back with what I describe as a charcoal satin finish that I just love. I am planning to send an officer's model when it's done.

It will increase the corrosion resistance of either metal. H&M Metal Processing: What is Black Nitride?

I've also heard that it will decrease corrosion resistance in stainless. I'm not sure how much or if it's even true, but my action is chromoly and I had the action/barrel/bolt nitrided. The stuff is so hard you can take the tip of a knife blade and try your best to gouge the finish to no effect.

I've also heard that it will decrease corrosion resistance in stainless. I'm not sure how much or if it's even true, but my action is chromoly and I had the action/barrel/bolt nitrided. The stuff is so hard you can take the tip of a knife blade and try your best to gouge the finish to no effect.

I don't recall ever hearing that before, interesting. I was of the understanding that SBN was designed specifically to increase the corrosion resistance of fasteners used in salt water/high corrosion applications. If so how/why would it make the corrosion resistance of SS go down?

t