• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H.R.T..."Badass" on a stick

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    The title says it all and I couldn’t describe this rifle any other way.

The HRT was a gamble in the context that there were virtually no reviews on it, likely since most are in govt. hands. I wanted one anyway and pulled the trigger in May. 6 months and change and here she is…

621-hrt2.jpg

620-hrt1.jpg

623-hrt4.jpg

622-hrt3.jpg

1st stop was 100 yds. The top target was the cherry breaker… Shoot-clean-shoot for 5 rounds which brings me to the 1st (and only) negative about the rifle; the adjustable cheek riser doesn’t lend itself easily returning to the sweet spot after being moved, and you can see it in this target. I couldn’t repeat my cheek weld. Problem is that it takes an allen to adjust the riser so if you need to pull the bolt it’s a bit of a pain. That problem was quickly solved with a trip to ace hardware for a thumbscrew.

Bottom 2 targets were the only other two I shot on day 1. I was shooting off a bench on a Pod-claw equipped Harris so the bipod was skating around on me, but still… with very little experience behind a bolt gun and zero time on this one I found it easy to poke small holes. I’m supremely confident that this is a 3/8 MOA stick, even in my hands...

624-hrt5.jpg

I had a 2 day wait for the weekend and it was out to stretch its legs. First stop was 850 yds. My cold bore splashed low/left off the plate. I held slightly and placed one about 6 0’clock low/left. Took a second shot to verify, then dialed it out once for the 5 shot group…

625-hrt6.jpg

I then moved up to 600yds and repeated the process with similar results. I actually had a best 1/2moa at 850 but the range got crowded so I just shot over them to keep from having to run down range…

626-hrt7.jpg

Overall I’d say this was a gamble worth taking. Craftsmanship and performance is GAP-like. What impressed me most was how immediately comfortable I felt behind this rifle…It just fits you and has a feel you could get used to in a hurry. The Templar action is slick, smooth, and positive and for a relative bolt-gun rookie I felt very confident behind this rig. It just seemed to do exactly what I wanted it to do, exactly when I needed it. I can’t imagine what a little more trigger time (or some hand loads) will do.

I would say that if you were of the mind to get yourself involved with hostage taking you may want to pray to Allah that HRT isn’t around sporting one of these.

Nicely done GAP

Re: H.R.T..."Badass" on a stick

Great report, thanks for sharing. Excellent shooting too!

Those GA Precision guys really do make a terrific product.

I have a GAP Hospitaller (sig) and it sits in a Manners T4-A, this is the same adjustable cheek piece as yours. I made a set of hardwood blocks, in 1/16" increments, for just the purpose of repeatability. Give it a shot, it will make your life easy.

Cheers for the review. The HRT would be my choice if I had the money to ship a GAP north.

I just got the call yesterday that my HRT was done also....

I ordered mine in May too.....

Can't wait...... This has just made my anxiety sky rocket.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the call yesterday that my HRT was done also....

I ordered mine in May too.....

Can't wait...... This has just made my anxiety sky rocket.....

</div></div>

You won't regret the choice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP Hospitaller (sig) and it sits in a Manners T4-A, this is the same adjustable cheek piece as yours. I made a set of hardwood blocks, in 1/16" increments, for just the purpose of repeatability. Give it a shot, it will make your life easy. </div></div>That's not a bad idea although I think I'm gonna look for something I already have by my side that fits such as a section of a magazine, sling clip, etc. I don't want to have to carry more crap and I'm sure I have something of the right height to use as a block. Good tip.

Sniper1,

as an OBTW...I was supplied the Badger medium rings which measure 1.125" high and IMO you don't need that height. My S&B has a 56mm obj and it still sits almost 1/4" above the barrel. The 1 inch rings would have worked far better and still left 1/8 clearance. I'm going to switch to 1" rings.

DAVE,

I quoted you below.

"1st stop was 100 yds. The top target was the cherry breaker… Shoot-clean-shoot for 5 rounds which brings me to the 1st (and only) negative about the rifle; the adjustable cheek riser doesn’t lend itself easily returning to the sweet spot after being moved, and you can see it in this target. I couldn’t repeat my cheek weld. Problem is that it takes an allen to adjust the riser so if you need to pull the bolt it’s a bit of a pain. That problem was quickly solved with a trip to ace hardware for a thumbscrew."

If your stock has the KMW Loggerhead cheek piece hardware. I can't tell from the picture. If it does, the upright post has notches or looks threaded. It has "e" clips which are to set the height. Then you can pull the cheek piece off for cleaning and then INSTANTLY return to your setting.

Also, if you use the supplied allen screw you have no issue shooting support shoulder.

I explained this to Big Jim on his Manners stock.

Dave if your HRT has something different, I'm sorry and did not mean to waste your time.

Now you have two rifles I want to shoot. Hope to shoot with you again soon.
    Jack

Hey Jack,

Mine just has smooth posts held in a friction block by a recessed allen. YOu did give me an idea though...once I get the height perfect I can mark and notch the posts, then wrap it with mechanics wire to hold my spot.

Yea...we need to shoot again bro.

Sorry Dave. I did not mean to sound like a D***.

On my AICS I stack small black nylon washers that fit over the posts of the cheek piece. Adds stability to the CP, ensures it returns to the correct height, and the nylon washers are thin enough to get precisely where you need it.

JACK

No rifle from GAP is ever a "gamble" nice stick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Dave. I did not mean to sound like a D***.

On my AICS I stack small black nylon washers that fit over the posts of the cheek piece. Adds stability to the CP, ensures it returns to the correct height, and the nylon washers are thin enough to get precisely where you need it.

JACK </div></div>

Didn't take it that way Jack. I like the washer idea. Better yet....O-rings...they wont slip off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No rifle from GAP is ever a "gamble" nice stick </div></div>
    True. This is my second GAP so I wasn't too worried but there's always that little voice in your head that wont shut up until you get to see it perform.

My HRT shows up next week, don't doubt it one bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Jack,

Mine just has smooth posts held in a friction block by a recessed allen. YOu did give me an idea though...once I get the height perfect I can mark and notch the posts, then wrap it with mechanics wire to hold my spot.

Yea...we need to shoot again bro. </div></div>

Here is how I addressed that issue

100_1560.jpg

Nice McCourt. Although while I was just out in the garage looking for o-rings I found the perfect solution...black rubber fuel hose cut to size and slid on the posts. Works perfect, doesn't fall off, and it looks factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My HRT shows up next week, don't doubt it one bit. </div></div>
    Sweet. Numbers are still low on these too. I got a serial number below 140.

Effective, cheap solution you found! Can't argue with price either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Effective, cheap solution you found! Can't argue with price either. </div></div>

Its stupid-simple and made me laugh hearing all of these solutions. Hell I was actually thinking of driling holes in the posts. Reminds me of a story I once heard about the space race...

The US spent millions to develop a pen that could write in zero gravity. The Soviets? They just used a pencil
    smirk.gif

627-pb240072.jpg

I wanted ability for adjustment as rifle does get used by other shooters. I put a sharpie mark on post to note "my" setting but when rifle is loaned I can set stops for other shooter in seconds.

Can do same thing with your system, just need different length of hose in stock pack, range bag, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the color(s) you chose for that rig? it came together really well IMO. </div></div>

OD green is standard. I didn't make any changes to the listed specs...

As built for FBI HRT Unit
    Loaded call out rifle, ready for any mission.
    3/8 MOA accuracy Guaranteed

Description:

GA Precision SA Templar action
    Solid 4320 CM one piece bolt, turned from a solid piece of billet.
    Left side Bolt Release
    22" Bartlein stainless 5R barrel, 1:11.25 twist (contour 1.200" x 3" st .920 muzzle)
    Sure Fire 7.62SSAL Sup. Adapter/Muzzle Brake
    Trigger tuned to a crisp 2.5 lbs.
    McMillan A3-5 stock in O.D. Adjustable Cheek Peice, Spacer System Butt.
    One front stud and 4 QD flush cups , (bottom and left side)
    Badger Ordnance EFR Rail installed. ANPVS 22/27 Ready
    Badger Ordnance M5 Detachable Mag System
    Solid one piece 20 MOA base attached with 8-40 Tapered head Grade 8 T-15 Hardware
    Precision ground over sized recoil lug double pinned to receiver

Badger Ordnance 30mm or 34mm rings, Customers choice of height.
    Over sized tactical bolt knob installed
    Rifle finished in matte CeraKote, Color - Mil Spec OD
    Pillar bedded with 7075 T-6 pillars then skimmed in Marine Tex
    T.A.B Gear Sling included in O.D. Green
    3/8 MOA guarantee with Match Grade Ammo

Congratulations Dave!

I bought both of my GAPs used but I recall reading a story elsewhere that the barrel will get <span style="font-style: italic">even better</span> after a few hundred rounds. So you may still have some potential upside. Hard to imagine, but the internet never lies
    smile.gif

What brands of ammo have you tried?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations Dave!

I bought both of my GAPs used but I recall reading a story elsewhere that the barrel will get <span style="font-style: italic">even better</span> after a few hundred rounds. So you may still have some potential upside. Hard to imagine, but the internet never lies
    smile.gif

What brands of ammo have you tried?

</div></div>
    Thanx Jax. So far just FGMM 175's but I've got a few different SWA loads coming in the mail.

Nice, need to get me one of these for sure.

My McM A3 has the saddle-type cheekpiece held by two thumbscrews. They suck. Always come loose and I even stripped one trying to tighten (by hand).

I advise you to keep the counter-sunk socket head cap screws, and to notch the front of your cheekpiece so the bolt can be removed without messing with the cheekpiece at all. My pre-loggerhead A4 has this, and it couldn't be better.

Fuel hose was the perfect choice.

Good luck.

Turns out that in addition to the cheekpiece issue I was also shooting with a loose scope. While cleaning last weekend I noticed marks on the tube from it slipping rearward 1/4".

Today I shot these consecutively with no sighters starting at 850 for a cold bore. I had a 3-4 mph L to R wind. All 5 shot groups except the 700 yd target which was 3. Factory FGMM 7.62 175's

850 with a cold bore hit...

631-hrt850.jpg

800, the larger stain in the black is 2 rnds perfectly stacked

632-hrt800.jpg

700, 3 rnds

633-hrt700.jpg

I'll take this from a .308 any day on factory ammo. 1/2 MOA is pretty much routine at distance and the 800 yard target is easy 3/8 MOA. Good day shooting and even got to meet a few fellow "Hiders". Now to think of it there were 5 of us in one place.

I would love to have one of these! Sweet stick, man!

Thanx guys. Can't believe I lived so long without a .308 bolt gun. I must have been sick.