• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H-S Precision HTR in 338 Lapua any good????

Re: H-S Precision HTR in 338 Lapua any good????

I bought a Lapua from them approximately 4 years ago and have yet to be impressed with it's performance. Nothing against HS rifles as I have one in 308 Win and it shoots 1/2" groups when I do my job. The problem I had with my Lapua was that it started cracking brass, see a bright line around the circumference of the brass. Called HS and told them I was concerned about the head spacing, no problem send it back with some spent cases to see what I was talking about. I was impressed with how quickly the got it back to me and a work order stating that the headspacing was indeed off enough to cause the problem. Needless to say it has been 4 years and I have yet to get it shooting consistently. I'm very close to ordering a new barrel for it as I feel that I am at the end of my rope. I'm staying optimistic as my 308 shoots great. Hope this helps, I'm not trying to deter you from HS because they are a quality rifle.

Re: H-S Precision HTR in 338 Lapua any good????

Ok i think most of their rifle parts are great but thry all benifite from bedding and the OAL on the HS mag is not great if you want to run 300gr projectiles. Also all of that money and the trigger i believe is not realy good we usualy fit Jewells for people. So to answer your question i would look at getting a Quote on having a 338 Lapua built with the following.

Lawton 8500 or Stillar Tac338 action
Manners stock
Seekins detachable 5 shot mag
Rock or Lawton barrel you get to choose the twist and length
Fat Bastard or SSG break
Jewell Trigger

You can change the barrel brand or stock brand even the action or trigger brand but get a few prices on a custom build with good products and the prices are close i dont think the HS is worth the price they charge but their actions and barrels are OK and there stocks work but i dont realy like the shape to much but that is a personal thing also the break is not as good as the ones mentioned.

the other thing about having a rifle built is you can have it finished in whatever color or pattern at the start and also choose the stock that fits you the best you are not governed by the company marketing the rifle and this is for most production rifle manufacturers.

I hope this helps make sure you look at the specs and factor in bedding and try the trigger to see if YOu like it and measure the mag length it is a bit short for a 300gr MatchKing. Glen Seekins mags hold 5 rounds of 338 lapua where the HS holds 3 and Glens will take a loaded length of just under 4" it is way longer than the HS units and this is a good thing so i would have one fitted even if i purchased a HS 338 lapua rifle so the costs dont add up.