• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

H-S Precision Remington 700 Fitment Issue...

LowStandards

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Charleston, WV
Hello everyone!

I hate for my first post to be a plea for help, but it is! I'll go ahead and say that working with bolt actions rifles is fairly new to me, so please, bear with me!

I purchased the gun in question, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308, about a year ago. I loved everything about the rifle, but the factory hogue stock. Today, I thought I was finally going to change that! I purchased a H-S Precision stock from a local individual. It had been on one of his rifles (Supposedly), but he had since parted with the barrel, and no longer needed the stock. I am unsure of the model, I was just told it would fit a 700 SA BDL.

Everything seemed to go smoothly, until i went to put the floor plate back into place and realized the trigger group was a little too close to one side of the stock.

The bolt holes all lined up, so I'm sure it was in the stock straight. Everything fit fine when I put it back in the hogue.

Am I doing something wrong? Or, did I just pick up a bum stock?

Thanks in advance!

photo-4-1_zps31868082.jpg

Safety lever is probably rubing on the stock, might have to sand it a little or take a dremel to it.

Also once you get the trigger in straight make sure the bolt handle doesn't rub against the stock at all ever!!! If it do you accuracy will suffer and its a common problem.Take a slender strip of newspaper and with the bolt fully closed see if the paper will slide without hitting the stock.Pull the trigger and repeat.If it hits break out your dremel tool.
Lynn

Dremel! I had same problem with my HS stock. It took me about 10 minutes with a dremel to cut out a slot for the safety to ride in. Rifle shoots under 1" if I do my part now.

You did not get a bum stock. This is what happens as tolerances stack up on each other. This is a quick fix.

You should see in the trigger area of the bedding block where the trigger is rubbing. You need to relieve this with a dremel tool. Go nice and easy, and don't forget to wear safety glasses. You'll need a strong carbide bit.

Another check is to make sure that the bolt stays cocked when you cycle the bolt. If the trigger is being squeezed by the bedding block it will release the firing pin when you put the bolt into batter.

Make sure you follow the advice that Lynn gave you too.

Check for proper function with some dummy rounds, not live ammunition.