• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

H-S Precision Remington 700 Fitment Issue...

LowStandards

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Charleston, WV
Hello everyone!

I hate for my first post to be a plea for help, but it is! I'll go ahead and say that working with bolt actions rifles is fairly new to me, so please, bear with me!

I purchased the gun in question, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308, about a year ago. I loved everything about the rifle, but the factory hogue stock. Today, I thought I was finally going to change that! I purchased a H-S Precision stock from a local individual. It had been on one of his rifles (Supposedly), but he had since parted with the barrel, and no longer needed the stock. I am unsure of the model, I was just told it would fit a 700 SA BDL.

Everything seemed to go smoothly, until i went to put the floor plate back into place and realized the trigger group was a little too close to one side of the stock.

The bolt holes all lined up, so I'm sure it was in the stock straight. Everything fit fine when I put it back in the hogue.

Am I doing something wrong? Or, did I buy a bum stock?

Thanks in advance!

photo-4-1_zps31868082.jpg

Really hoping a reply comes in to this post. I just ordered a Precision from Brownells and am going to be REALLY tweeked if I cant use it.

It's not normal, I ran into the same problem with a X Mark Pro and HS Varmint stock a while back and it's due to the little extra width in the safety of the X Mark Pro trigger compared to the old-style trigger that HS stocks are inletted for. A little bit of the stock has to be taken out on the right side to allow the safety to move freely, which can be done with a Dremel tool pretty easily.

I find that pretty normal on quite a few builds. Its not uncommon to have to get the file out and increase the inlet on the stock. On a few occasions i have also had to remove metal from the trigger gaurd for clearance as well. You have done nothing wrong, just get out your file and take your time, you will get it to fit.

It´s not clear from the picture whether there´s any contact between the stock (or BM for that matter) and the trigger unit or not. If not and it is only misaligned, it´ll be fine, just unsightly. If there´s any interference, then definitely do not use it that way!

A random thought: have you checked the recoil lug? That may be where the misalignment originates, if it´s not by the trigger assy itself.