• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

H1000. Different Lot #. Bad Results!

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
So I had a lb of H1000 sitting around from last year and decided to use it to work up a load for my new 6.5-284 Norma. 55.5 grains with a Hornady 143 ELD X was netting me 2935-2955 fps. 26in barrel. With 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 yards. Normal pressure and normal velocity. I ran out of my original lb and bought a new lb of H1000 2 days ago. Different lot #. MAJOR difference. 100 fps SLOWER (2850) and much more pressure. Heavy bolt lift. No way I can increase powder charge to gain what was lost. Didnt change load at all. Very disappointed. Was really wanting to use H1000 in this rifle. Things were looking great until I had to buy a new lot #! I even checked my chrony speeds by pulling out my 308 and verifying its normal velocity. Problem was definitely the different lot #.

Anybody else having issues with H1000?

What lot # was on the new jug? I've not had a problem like that and have burned many lbs of the stuff. But I'm about to buy another 8# since I've almost exhausted my last pair of 8#'s and haven't bought any for some time now.

The old lb #1042915/5402
The new lb #1121615/5467

Sounds like it is faster than your other lot. Moisture content is important in any powder, but single base powders seem to be especially susceptible. It may just be a little dry. Don't know where you live or how you keep your powder, but it would be interesting to see if it normalizes after a period of time to match your last lot.

Ohio. I keep my powders in a dry, closed cabinet. Ive never had this issue with any other powders. IMR 3031/4064. Hodgdon 4831/H1000. Or Alliant RL 17.

Thinking of going to RL 26 for this rifle. Not excited about spending anymore money on H1000 if this is going to be the result.

I have had fast lots of both Varget and H4350. I live 2 hours north of Seattle and have to run a de-humidifier years round to keep the humidity between 40-50 percent. After about 6 months in my reloading room cabinet, they shot the same as my other jugs.

Double base powders seem to me to be more sensitive to temperature increases above about 75 degrees F, but a little less so with swings in humidity.

It's really tough to tell someone they need more powder, but here is a load like yours in Quickload, yellow means danger on the low end of spectrum.
Load 3 rds at 58gr and fire them with this powder.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    67.5 KB · Views: 80
It's really tough to tell someone they need more powder, but here is a load like yours in Quickload, yellow means danger on the low end of spectrum.
Load 3 rds at 58gr and fire them with this powder.
Good catch.

Here's 58gr of H1000. feel free to work up to it, heck, 57gr may have you back on track. I'm assuming you used Hodgdon's data? Some of there max stuff is borderline on the low end.
One more, I take it you are new to reloading, powder variances from lot to lot are real, best to buy a few lbs, you may go through this again on your next can, even though H1000 is not known to be as finicky as varget or 4350.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    66 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for the quickload. Ill give it a try. Hopefully sunday if its not raining. Not really new to reloading. Been at it hard 4 years now. Ive just never came across this much variance from a particular lot. Ive experienced 30-50fps difference, but never 100fps. Pretty dramatic. Makes the 6.5-284 a 6.5CM.