• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H1000 or Retumbo in a 32” Barrel?

Juggerxxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I’m not asking which powder you like better but rather which powder would work better in a 32”, 338LM barrel pushing 230gr and 285gr bullets? Would a slower burning powder get better velocity in the longer barrel pushing both weights of bullets?

Thanks guys.

My 338AI has a 32" barrel, retumbo works much better.

Did you try H1000 and what made the Retumbo work so much better? Accuracy? Veleocity? What grain of bullet were you using?

Thanks guys.

Did you try H1000 and what made the Retumbo work so much better? Accuracy? Veleocity? What grain of bullet were you using?

Yes, I tried H1000 & it just did not shoot well for me in this gun, groups just opened up all over. With retumbo the groups closed up & velocities were much more consistent. I shoot the 256 flatlines at 3200fps (102 grs retumbo). I found that to get the velocity i wanted with the H1000 i was also getting too many pressure signs on the brass. If i was just shooting "normal" elr distances (say 1000-1400 yds for example) then the H1000 and 300 grain bergers or Smk's would probably suffice but I shoot this particular gun starting at a mile out to 2500yds. I just don't shoot inside of a mile with it. Too expensive lol. The retumbo just performs better for me without punishing the brass so much. Hope that helps some. I've thought of trying reloader 33 but really dont want to do another load work-up right now.