• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4350 replacement

Bull81

Lost Cause
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Mississippi
What's a good replacement for H4350 in 6.5x47 lapua in the 130 to 140 class pills? It's getting harder and harder to find and I'm running low. I'm looking for something that's temp stable. Any suggestions?

Imr 4451 Hodgon posted a chart with very similar substitutes if you can't find their most popular powders like h4350 I'll see if I can find it. I've also heard reloaded 16 I believe is very close but I haven't tried it or the 4451 the 16 is hear say but the 4451 is on a chart and theirs a video strait from me hogdons mouth to use that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67637a84d4381ca4578871cdfd8b2700.jpg
shoulda realized it still had it in my pictures

67637a84d4381ca4578871cdfd8b2700.jpg
shoulda realized it still had it in my pictures

Thanks fella I'll see if they have any 4451 locally. I'm a little scared of the reloder 16 I had bad luck with 15 and great velocity and accuracy out of 17 but it was very sensitive to temperature

I have the same question. New to reloading, loading 6.5 Creedmoor. Used IMR 4350 for my first 100 loads, it worked well, good accuracy but a bitch to work with. want to try some other options. Was thinking RL17 but temp sensitivity is not good here in CO.

IMR 4451 a good choice? Not in my manual...

Last edited:
I had decent velocity and accuracy out of 15 but it's even more temp sensitive from 17 I think. If 17 wasn't so temp sensitive it'd run it in everything I've got amazing speeds in my 260 and 6.5 hunting rifle. But way too much charge temperature wise. Supposedly 16 is insensitive but I have trouble believeing that

I want to say I saw a post here on the hide where somebody used H4831SC with good results in 6.5x47. I would think it would be a little slow, have any of yal tried that?

Advice that has served me well is to develop a load for H4350, IMR4451, and RL16. That way, the chance of you suffering a powder drought is rare.

Advice that has served me well is to develop a load for H4350, IMR4451, and RL16. That way, the chance of you suffering a powder drought is rare.

Good advise fella. What kind of luck have you had out of the reloder 16 as far as temp stability? I absolutely loved RL 17 but it was just to temp sensitive

If you're looking for a powder for 6.5x47, I'd take a serious look at Varget. I've never really like the 4350 burn rate powders for that cartridge. It'll shoot well, but the higher charge weights fill too much of the case imo. I got tired of tapping the case or using a long drop tube to get the powder compressed enough to properly seat bullets.

Varget, on the other hand works perfectly in every aspect with that cartridge. Right around 37 grains with the 123-130 class bullets is a nice sweet spot. Just a thought, but if you do stay with the 4350 burn rate, IMR 4451 works really well.

41 - 41.5 grains should give a nice mix of accuracy, low st dev's, and descent velocity with 130's. You can speed it up with another grain or so of powder, but that 41 - 41.5 grain area is a nice node.

Last edited:
Good advise fella. What kind of luck have you had out of the reloder 16 as far as temp stability? I absolutely loved RL 17 but it was just to temp sensitive

Drop of only 10 to 11 fps from 60-something degrees to below freezing. Temp sensitivity has been as good, maybe better, than H4350

Varget has been my go to in the 6.5x47. It has worked great for me with 130s and 140s.