• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4831 and H4831SC Are the burn rates the same?

cdfields

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2009
fayette,al
In my area H4831 is becoming harder to find, but everybody seems to have H4831SC availiable. I have a 308 norma mag that loves H4831. But everybody tells me the two powders are the same. Can anyone give me rock hard evidence of this. I have a match this weekend and I don't need any surprises.

Re: H4831 and H4831SC Are the burn rates the same?

The sc only means short cut as I understand it. The granules are smaller cut to flow better, and measure better through your powder measure. I could be wrong, but I believe this info to be correct. I used some and was alot easier to work with. Pick up a pound and give it a try.

Mike

In my experience H4831 and H4831sc are same in burn rate. I'd load up 2 or 3 rounds to put across chronograph to verify (I do that any time changing lot # of powder) to confirm but would expect you to be same same as your H4831 load data.

I don't know if this is true but I have heard that the shorter kernels of the SC speeds up the burn rate a little. That being said I have loaded up using H4831 data with SC with no problems. Like FCS said chrono to verify if you have one available.

David

their web site says they have the same ballistic characteristics.
http://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html
H4831™ & H4831SC™ It is probably safe to say more big game has been taken with H4831 than any other powder. Bruce Hodgdon was the first supplier to introduce this popular burning rate in 1950. Since that time it has become a favorite for cartridges like the 270 Winchester, 25-06 Remington, 280 Remington and 300 Winchester Magnum. As an Extreme Extruded propellant it shares the fine quality of insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures, as well as superb uniformity from lot to lot.
H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut. The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers. Take the Extreme Tour

They work the same for me. However...as all of the manuals state...start lower and work up. JMHO

Regular and SC have the same burn rate. The advantages in SC are:

meters better through a measure

you can put more grains (weight) in a case, if that is an issue. Like a 160 gr in a 260 Remington