• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4895 New vs Old (1996 vs 2016)

morning would

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2022
New Mexico
Someone, much more experienced than I, has had to have ran across this before. Where they change recipes, perhaps?, for powder thru the years causing newer lots to not run the same as the older stuff. Or maybe I will have no change, we are gonna find out.

Story starts about 5 months ago. I was cruising a local gun classifieds when I saw an ad for a sealed pound of H4895. I wanted to try it, so I ponied up the $25, after making sure it was sealed, and went on my way. I’ve used a little here and there for 223 loads with 88gr ELD’s. It worked great. Like a lot of other reloaders, I began searching high and low for more. I wanted to try it in other cartridges, but the fear of running out is a real thing. About 2-1/2 weeks ago, I struck gold. A gentleman on another forum was selling 8 pounds of it for $35 a pound. Luckily it was in a state that I had an office in, so I got one of my guys to meet up with him and buy the powder for me. While waiting for the new lot of 8 pounds to get to me, I worked up a load for my 6 dasher with the original pound I had purchased. I hadn’t been able to get 107 SMK’s working quite the way I wanted. But using 31.4gr of h4895 from 1996 was yielding mid 3’s pretty consistently. Velocity is pretty low at 2880, but it works for what I am doing at 750 yards and in. But I’ve just about used it up. So now I need to start using the newer stuff which has a date code of 2016.

Opened a bottle, and it looks different. It has a more yellow look to it where the older is just a dark grey like pencil lead. Is that a coating of some sort that is now put on the powder? Or did my old powder just deteriorate and my naïveté is showing? Am I asking for giant trouble mixing the 2 lots together to use up the last of what’s in the bottle from ‘96? These are the questions running thru my head. Sorry if they are remedial in nature, but reloading has become an all encompassing passion of mine over the last year of finally doing it. Every load I try is like a puzzle to me, and I love trying to solve that puzzle to get to what works for me.

Here are some pics showing the differences from 20 years apart. Kind of interesting, at least to me. Also, a target from Friday showing how the older stuff has been shooting in 6 dasher. It’s pretty cool to see that powder that is 27 years old can still produce such good results, at least to me anyways. I sure hope the newer stuff works the same. I’ve also included pics of older and newer canisters. Luckily, we have pretty much no humidity in NM throughout the year, and so the older bottle really doesn’t show its age on the metal lid like I have seen in a lot of other pics.

So back to the questions above, has anyone else been using h4895 throughout these years, from 1996 till now, and not seen too much change in their own load data? Thanks for any info you can share. I know my own testing will tell the tale, I am just interested in what others have seen.

kmnfx7.jpg

wfc19o.jpg

hxinkg.jpg

sagorn.jpg

puhudt.jpg

9benqa.jpg

9o6490.jpg

9qnsda.jpg

Powder companies will change the powder and not say anything. Happened to me with H100V and AA4350/XMR4350. With H100V there are 3 variations of the color and composition noticeable.

I would not pour the old 1lbs into a newer 8lbs and risk contamination. I've only ever known H4895 to have the yellowish color. It's common to mix remaining powder with new powder of the same type to settle the lot-to-lot burn rate inconsistencies, but that is with powders that are produced relatively close in years and the powder is indistinguishable by observation.

Hodgon contracts various powder manufactures to make their powder so the old was made
by company A and the new was made by company B, it will be similar but not exactly the same.

I have been using it all those years , with full loads and using the 60 Percent formula for reduced . I have never seen big changes from year to year or lot to lot . It has always worked so well I never dug deep into testing/comparing them as I went along , just rotated stock .

I have a pound of 1990's H-4831 that is Australian made. It is gray like your old H-4895. I also have a pound of early 1990's H-4831 that is made in Scotland and it is also gray. Hodgdon changed their 4831 source from Scotland to Australian in the 1990's.

As far as using old powder, I'm down to my last pound of H-4831 in a 1960's Hodgdon cardboard container that is the original WWII surplus 20 MM Cannon powder bought by Hodgdon and sold as H-4831. This powder still performs well, no sign of deterioration.

Sometime after the 1990's, the Australian sourced ADI Hodgdon powders changed formulation to the newer "Extreme" line of powders made by ADI. Those powders are the yellow greenish variety. I'm a big fan of these powders.

Hodgdon doesn't make smokeless powder. They source it. Most of the powders are sourced from the US, Canada and Australia.