• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4895 vs IMR4895

BrienM

Underfunded Overthinker
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2020
I am curious if anyone has tested the difference between the two H & IMR 4895's and what they have found for real world differences in the two. (velocity, temp stability, kernel size, fouling etc) I specifically may try to see what I see in straight 6BR with heavies and possibly a 223 with heavies but I'm curious to hear from others..
Brien

H is a little faster and kernel size is smaller than imr. The last time I used imr was when it still came in a metal can.

Reactions: BrienM
I am curious if anyone has tested the difference between the two H & IMR 4895's and what they have found for real world differences in the two. (velocity, temp stability, kernel size, fouling etc) I specifically may try to see what I see in straight 6BR with heavies and possibly a 223 with heavies but I'm curious to hear from others..
Brien
Each powder is going to show different velocities is two different size of cases because you have two different burn areas . Then if you use different bullets IE a Burger and a Hornady’s , again the powders will act differently.

Probably same preference of majority to go towards the extreme line in hodgdon powders.. Seems like most people favor that way anyway.. I like varget , h4350 and h1000. My daughter’s fast twist 22-250 shoots imr4350 w/80gr smk very well too though.. so many choices ...

Last edited:
Has anyone found any good substitutes for 4895 in 223. It’s impossible to find right now.

Has anyone found any good substitutes for 4895 in 223. It’s impossible to find right now.
I've had excellent results with IMR 8208 in both .223 and .222 Mag. However, whether one can find either powders these days is questionable.

I've had excellent results with IMR 8208 in both .223 and .222 Mag. However, whether one can find either powders these days is questionable.
I’ve used 8208 in the past and it’s been great. I just can’t find it. The Sierra book has 4064 for heavier bullets. Has anyone tried that?

Cfe 223, AA2520. Win748, h335 are all in the usable range

I've had excellent results with W748 in my 223/556 weapons. I have a lot of IMR 4895 which I still use for 308 but for me anyway the W748 performs better in 223/556..

CFE-223, IMR-8208-XBR, TAC, BL-C(2), W748, H335, A2460, A2230 . All work better for me in the 223 Remington case .

I forgot about Benchmark. I used it behind 69SMK for a while with very positive results.

I can't remember for sure since its been several years. I believe i was running 26grs varget or 25grs benchmark behind the 69smk but that was a factory PSS remy and somehow had a nice length throat in it where i could seat the bullets longer.. Seems to me like i shortened them up later to better fit an LTR remy and they popped a few primers.