• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4895 vs. Re-15

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
When would one typically choose one over the other in a .223 AR-15? Is there much difference in temp. sensitivity?

Re: H4895 vs. Re-15

I would suggest you try Bl-C2 unless you are shooting 70 gr or more bullets. Works thru a measure better that either 4895 or RL15 and was designed for the 5.56 whereas 4895 was designed for the M-1 30-06.

H 4895 is a Hodgdon Extreme powder and should give you less variation in velocity than RE15 or BLC-2.
RE15 is double based and temperature sensitive and
I've found BLC-2 to be quite temperature sensitive.

4895 is an excellent powder for the 223 for LR Match loads. It takes a little more practice to throw accurately from a measure. For a ball type powder I would use TAC for heavier bullets. It is consistent and less temp sensitive than BL-C2 or 335. At range out to 300 yards it doesn't matter...at 600 yards it doesn't matter much...past 600 yards I would stick with 4895 or Varget.

TC

H4895 works well for me.
Temp sensitivity is the main reason for not using BLC-2, based on my use of it in the past. If not for that it would be one of my favorites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H4895 works well for me.
Temp sensitivity is the main reason for not using BLC-2, based on my use of it in the past. If not for that it would be one of my favorites. </div></div>

Same here with BLC-2. IF they made it less sensitive it would be awesome. As little as 15-20 degree temp change took great loads to suck in a hurry.

I use H4895 as a backup in .308, it would work well for a bolt .223. For AR I prefer benchmark from 55gr-77gr. Varget obviously works well for the heavier .223's but I don't like it in the AR with the bolt timing.

That sucks about the BL-C2. I was unaware of the temp sensitivity. This is the group I shot with 46.5 gr of it behind a 168gr Nosler Custom Comp this past weekend. It was close to 90 out.

IMG00071.jpg

It's still a fine powder.
It just has large swings in performance based on temp differences.
Don't develop a stout load on a cold day and expect it to be safe on a hot day.

It can be controlled, but with powders like H4895 you can damn-near ignore temp swings. That is worth something to me.

I had great success with H4895 the week earlier. I shot some of the same loads this past weekend and couldnt group very well. And the loads of BL-C2 I had success with this past weekend didnt do so well the week before. Weird.

Jake, shoot that same load at 18F and see if it tracks and groups the same.
It shot well for me, at times, as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jake, shoot that same load at 18F and see if it tracks and groups the same.
It shot well for me, at times, as well. </div></div>

When its 18F out i'm usually in the house where its warm.
grin.gif

I will try a few different loads this winter as long as Knob Creek's range is open.
I know the store is open year round (its 20 minutes from me).
smile.gif

Mine shoots great with varget and its practically identical to the rl-15 burn rate. You can ignore the temp as raf says. I have noticed about a 10-20 fps difference in temp swings from 10 below to 95...

Using H4895 I can only get 25 gr in, any more and I will be compressing it. The loads I'm doing now are my first with H4895 for .223, anyone have thoughts as the max load is 26gr?

I tried both with 75g Hornady HPBT match and RL15 shot better so that is why I use RL15 (H4895 might be better in your barrel). RL15 has been very good for me in 308 too (155 and 175).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beer Alchemist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using H4895 I can only get 25 gr in, any more and I will be compressing it. The loads I'm doing now are my first with H4895 for .223, anyone have thoughts as the max load is 26gr? </div></div>

what bullet and what rifle? that's way too much for the 75 grain A-Max.

but you can use a powder funnel along with tapping the side of the case to get power to "settle" a little and compress it some with the bullet.

Just plinking rounds, 55gr FMJ-BT, best load data I could find was based on an SPR SP starting at 25gr. I found other data suggesting 23.4 so I started their and topped out at 25.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mj2evans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried both with 75g Hornady HPBT match and RL15 shot better so that is why I use RL15 (H4895 might be better in your barrel). RL15 has been very good for me in 308 too (155 and 175). </div></div>

Question on th RL-15. I'm running the 75 A-max with .223 bolt gun - the RL-15 outshot Varget with lower SD. Varget I got the SD's down but still getting inconsistant vertical stringing - somthing I'm not getting with the RL. I have no experiance with RL-15 and want to know if there are any quirks with it (temp, lot to lot problems and so on). I want to run it to 1000 so any feedback would be awsome.

Thanks,
JamieD