• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H59 for varmint hunting orrr???

sixpack340

Thrower of angry avocados
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
york, pa
I've never used a horus reticle. I'm eyeing a scope with an h59 reticle but wanted to hear others thoughts on using it for varmint hunting. Good, bad, stupid? Let's say out to 500 yards, are the dots and stadia lines thin enough to not cover an entire groundhog? This will mostly be used for varmint and steel. Thanks fellas

I've never used a horus reticle. I'm eyeing a scope with an h59 reticle but wanted to hear others thoughts on using it for varmint hunting. Good, bad, stupid? Let's say out to 500 yards, are the dots and stadia lines thin enough to not cover an entire groundhog? This will mostly be used for varmint and steel. Thanks fellas

I would not recommend it...

If you’re considering horus reticles, go on their website and play with their interactive demo a bit. It gives a little sense of what they’re like to use. H59 would work as would many other reticles just depends on your preferences and how you intend to use it.

Reactions: sixpack340
H59 works great for varmint hunting if you want to hold, as does T3. I prefer T3 for the wind dots. It's essentially an H59 with the dots added.

If you're going to dial and never hold though you'll end up with a bunch of lines you'll never use while paying a premium licensing fee. For holds though Horus is king.

If it's a dedicated groundhog rifle I'd personally just save the $$ and get a good mil reticle that has .2mil has marks and dial elevation and hold wind. I've shot a shit load of groundhogs and I can't think of one time I needed the speed of a Horus reticle although I have shot them with Horus reticles with holds because it's what I was using. If varmints include the possibility of coyotes and/or foxes at distance (especially if any night hunting with a clip on) then H59 or Tremor 3 100%.

Reactions: BurtG
What size varmints?

Here are specs on the stadia lines/dots and an image of the reticle

H-59 is one of my preferred reticles......enough info without being too busy like the tremor

horus_h59_reticle_technical_specs.jpg

H-59illum_web.png

Reactions: GUNNER75
I've used H59's for Prairie dogs. Its fun and great practice for holds. Done head shots out to 300Y using holds and can't do any better than that dialing.

.05 mil line thickness covers .9" at 500Y and that's half the size of a GH head.

Presumably one can dial a scope and use the center dot kinda like all the other scopes out there that have .2 mil hashes with centerdots. ;)

I like holdovers and holdoffs though but If I was going to primarily dial I'd just get a scope with a simpler reticle.

Reactions: 264pr