• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes H59 or...........

BERTMAN77MK2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
displaced TEXAN
I cannot afford a Leupold or tier 1 scope with Horus reticle----what is best bet for a lesser price that you could recommend?

Best bet, scope wise or reticle wise?
If you're looking for a Horus reticle in a cheaper scope, Burris has that XTR2 4-20x50 with the H59 in it.

Thank you both for the info----definitely looking for best quality in a more affordable scope. Is there anything else out there that would have a similar reticle for holdovers that is not Horus?

One of the bushnell LRHS or DMR, ERS, XRS with a Christmas tree reticle. Not a horus, but good for hold overs.

I've got a Bushy with the Tremor 2 reticle, works well for me, might take a look at that.

A number of the major scope manufacturers are offering and developing new reticles which offer the Hourus and Tremor (like) functionality, but do not pay the royalty, which can drive the price up by $350 +/-. Take a look at the Razor HD, Kahles, NF and to a lesser extent S&B.

I talked to a few factory scope employees at the NRA Exhibit a few weeks back, and everyone seemed to be looking at options. The hold-over / Christmas tree functionality is widely appreciated in the market, and I heard a lot of talk about new options coming as well.

Look at Athlon, I think their reticles are the best as far as tree style reticles go, obviously just my opinion. Also look at vortex, almost the same but I don't like the mil numbers right next to the main cross hair. I think you will find exactly what you want with an Athlon. If it has to be Horus, Def go Bushnell.

Before I would suggest anything, I would ask what will the main purpose of this optic be? Just had this discussion this past weekend at the JC Steel Challenge with a few of the guys running the H59. If it is for target shooting/plinking, the H59 appears to be awesome. If it is for a comp rifle, I would be reluctant to get an H59 as it has no hold-under abilities.