• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Had a few hours after work so...

C.West

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2008
Nashville Tn.
I ran home, grabbed a few select items and my younger cousin and set off. It turned out to be a bit cooler today than it has been the past few weeks here, so it worked in our favor as far as that goes. We set up on a large freshly cut hay field. Wearing t-shirts and jeans. No blind, no calls. Just a gun and binos. We weren't after any specific critter but we've seen an unusual amount of coyotes the past few weeks there on the farm. About an hour before dark we had four young dogs roll in on us. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I ended up putting this little guy down at 360 yards with the 300RUM. Ended up being a great time for both my cousin and I. This actually being his first "coyote hunt". He'll be on the gun next go round.

Colt

0629001932a1.jpg

06290019401.jpg

06290019331.jpg

Re: Had a few hours after work so...

thats quite the coyote hunting setup there, i get in full camo and call and sometimes dont get lucky, just a pup not too bright yet, good shooting

We generally get pretty serious when its time to hunt dogs. As far as clothing, blinds, calls ect. This evening was just meant for a little time away from the interstate and telephone. Just a little R&R..

Colt

I hear you on the R&R, that hay field looks to have some LR possibilities.

Wonder if anyone makes a ground blind that looks like a realistic round bale. Might work in a setting like that quite well.

I actually thought about that myself while sitting there that afternoon. Surely someone makes a hay bell blind. As far as the shooting there on the farm, the far tree line in this picture is 700 yards from my position. During late fall and the winter months, you can stretch out to 900 safely after the leaves are gone.

Colt

0629001940a1.jpg

I was in asimilar situation a couple weeks ago, I had a whole family of coyotes in my scope, at 420 yds they made a tempting target. But I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the little guys, even from that range, their fluffy new coats, and puffy puppy faces were just too cute. Call me a softy, but I think everybody should get a fair shot at life, or at least a safe passage out of the gate.
I wouldn't blame anyone for pulling the trigger though. Good shootin!!
wink.gif

That's $75 bounty in my county in VA.
Nice job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you on the R&R, that hay field looks to have some LR possibilities.

Wonder if anyone makes a ground blind that looks like a realistic round bale. Might work in a setting like that quite well. </div></div>
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
The hay bale blind is a good idea. There are quite a few out there if you google it. I think I'm going to make one this weekend. We have tons of them out here as well.

Bob </span> </span>

Great story & pictures makes for good memories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's $75 bounty in my county in VA.
Nice job! </div></div>

tucker301, is that a year round bounty? I thought those days were gone. That could pay for some ammo and gas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's $75 bounty in my county in VA.
Nice job!</div></div>

Wish they had a bounty on them like that here in Washington.