• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Had my butt handed to me today

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
Late May I shot in a PRS long range varmint steel silhouette match ,cool temps and gusty winds . I won the match really surprised me ! Today I moved up a classification ,shot out to 665 yards . It was a 100 degrees in Nevada desert, Smokey inconsistent winds and mirage everywhere . I shot very poorly ,6mmCreedmoor 110 Hornady A-tips. in front of 40grs of H4350 . No pressure signs ( Other shooters were blowing primers) Scope is Delta Stryker . I was thinking of a MDT ESS new chassis maybe a Scope Upgrade ,(guy out there had a ZC and it cut through all the haze). But now I almost feel embarrassed . Anyhow, any books are videos out there that can educate me

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
dust your self off and get back at working harder you can do it . have you seen f class johns video on aperture reduction shot using it in 90+ degree heat with 70% humidity and was looking at a clear target at 40 x's mag

we are using pool noodles cheap maybe too small of an opening but it is what it is at this point .but it helps it makes the picture pretty dark but clear enough to shoot . and best of luck on your next match .
1625979527307.png

Last edited:
Late May I shot in a PRS long range varmint steel silhouette match ,cool temps and gusty winds . I won the match really surprised me ! Today I moved up a classification ,shot out to 665 yards . It was a 100 degrees in Nevada desert, Smokey inconsistent winds and mirage everywhere . I shot very poorly ,6mmCreedmoor 110 Hornady A-tips. in front of 40grs of H4350 . No pressure signs ( Other shooters were blowing primers) Scope is Delta Stryker . I was thinking of a MDT ESS new chassis maybe a Scope Upgrade ,(guy out there had a ZC and it cut through all the haze). But now I almost feel embarrassed . Anyhow, any books are videos out there that can educate me
that was my ZCO we was talking about and thats why we call that match the humbler LOL!
i think the match has been going for 20yrs and it has never been cleaned...ive seen 1 39 shot there a few 38s....that match is a lot tougher than ppl think especially when you move up to the 850 coyote.

there is another match in elko thats the same lay out but only goes to 715yds and everyone shoots the same distances.

First, let me say we've all been there. One match you can do no wrong, you're cleaning stages left and right, and all your wind calls are perfect. Next match is the complete opposite. You think you've got a good wind call, but it gusts just a little at all the wrong times, or worse, you make mental mistakes and can't get out of your own way.

With that said, what specifically are you trying to improve on? Better wind calls? Dealing with mirage? Something else?

Reactions: Iron Worker
First, let me say we've all been there. One match you can do no wrong, you're cleaning stages left and right, and all your wind calls are perfect. Next match is the complete opposite. You think you've got a good wind call, but it gusts just a little at all the wrong times, or worse, you make mental mistakes and can't get out of your own way.

With that said, what specifically are you trying to improve on? Better wind calls? Dealing with mirage? Something else?
Actually the whole 9 yards ,starting with reading mirage ,also mastering the prone position .