• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Had the pleasure (well I guess) to fire a sw500

JJRawr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
El Paso, TX
Yesterday my buddy got his smith & wesson 500 in and invited me for a few rounds at the range.

I thought it would be fun to shoot but it was mostly a pain in the ass! Lol

I learned that .45 acp is plenty big for me.

I shot 10 rounds and I have a sore wrist an arm!

On the plus side, it was extremely fun shootin an old tv the guy had
smile.gif

Anyone else ever shoot the sw500?

Re: Had the pleasure (well I guess) to fire a sw500

I shot a total of 1 round through my buddies snub nose and after half of the sound proofing in the range fell on top of me I decided that I had enough fun for one day.

My buddy owns an 8 3/8" 500... It's a fun gun to shoot, but definitely not all the time ha...

I had the displeasure of shooting one. I did it mostly for shits-n-grins, since impact had one for rental.

Even with double ear pro, my ears got raped.

I shot both the .500 and .460 on the same day. I thought it was just what I need to bore hunt. It was fun, Just glad I got to shoot one. I bought the Ruger GSR instead.

I did a little research and both the .460 and the .500 had in my opinion they both have the same math and numbers when it came down to certain factory loads.

Anyway the .460 can also fire .45 LC, .454 Cass, and .460. This caliber compatibility was an awesome deal for the budget minded hunter. Also when it came out there was a shortage of .460 ammo so being able to keep a gun feed is nice.

I did end up buying one but as it's been pointed out it is freaking loud. I ended up selling mine and still regret that choice to this day. Recoil was not as bad as you would think.

I honestly don't see a difference between the two so don't feel bad about purchasing either one.

Also your next purchases after the firearm should be the best ear pro you can possibly afford, reloading supplies, and a scope/hunting holster combo to take max advantage of the potential of these two fine calibers.

best friend had the 8 3/4 barrel one...i shot it, wasn't that bad. i had it built up a LOT worse than it really was. We shot it outdoors...then the next day he took it to the indoor range, he was kicked out after 2 shots lol

I have one with the 8.375" barrel. I enjoy it, but it can suck too. The factory 300 and 350gr loads ain't to bad for me. But, when I got it the first 5 rounds I shot were 500+ grain hand loads and they sucked a lot!!! I need to get a case tumbler and start working on some 500 specials instead of the mags to practice with and shoot more often at the range.

I as well like the 460 for its ability to shoot 460, 454 Cas. and 45 LC.

a friend of mine bought one one of those ridiculous bear survival kits.

he calls me up and i meet him at the range. he opens the orange kit to reveal an orange handled 500 S&W snub nose.

"you gotta shoot it."

so i loaded it, cocked the hammer, pulled the trigger, went blind and deaf for a second or two, empited the cylinder, and handed him the gun back.

was it THAT loud? yes.
was the recoil THAT bad? no.
but one was enough. i didn't feel compelled to shoot anymore.

turns out he never fired the gun. he was afraid of it and decided i should try it first.

to the best of my knowledge, he never fired it before selling it.

Funny how that "bear survival kit" never came with a holster.

454 casull 2.5" was enough for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny how that "bear survival kit" never came with a holster.
</div></div>

it's a kit! you have to carry the whole damn thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny how that "bear survival kit" never came with a holster.
</div></div>

it's a kit! you have to carry the whole damn thing </div></div>

But in a Pelican? No fanny pack at all? LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny how that "bear survival kit" never came with a holster.
</div></div>

It needs a sling.

I've shot it with 700 grain loads. It's not painful, but it's really not that fun to shoot, either.

.45 feels like a cap gun after that.

They came in sizes smaller than the typical Howitzer 8 inch barrel, and instead they have a wonderful Mini-Howie. At least that's the one that I saw in the "bear kit."

I agree with you fully on the larger versions needing a sling and the Performance Center tuned model has one with sling swivels.

When I first bought my .460, I also bought a chest mounted holster to go with it. It was a tan leather(Horizontal carry) one sold on the S&W website, with ammo loops on the outside, and a exposed space on the top for a scope. I agree with the sling, but not if you mount a scope to it.

And IMHO buying a good holster for both the .460/.500 is a serious issue.

Check before you buy.

I enjoyed shooting a friends 8 3/8" 500 outdoors. With a 4x scope, 5 shot 4" goups @ 100 yds were very feasible even by me
Think i would pass on the snubbie though. My ultra light 44 mag. is my limit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They came in sizes smaller than the typical Howitzer 8 inch barrel, and instead they have a wonderful Mini-Howie. At least that's the one that I saw in the "bear kit."

I agree with you fully on the larger versions needing a sling and the
</div></div>

I was mostly joking, just because the idea of a sling on a handgun is so ridiculous.

I had a customer here, old military retiree, bought one, asked me to get a scope and mount it for him. Did that. Then he asked me to zero it for him. Big brutal round but fun. Dont think he has shot it since he watched me zero it, lol.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They came in sizes smaller than the typical Howitzer 8 inch barrel, and instead they have a wonderful Mini-Howie. At least that's the one that I saw in the "bear kit."

I agree with you fully on the larger versions needing a sling and the
</div></div>

I was mostly joking, just because the idea of a sling on a handgun is so ridiculous. </div></div>

No. It's an okay idea if you don't have a holster for it...yet.

I highly advise against it if you have a scope mounted.

I put 3 rds of .500 Special through a 4" S&W, which went OK. I then loaded 3 rds of the magnum load but only shot 2. I'll stick with my 629.

I have both the 500SW & 460 I reload light and heavy loads enjoy shooting it with limits.

friend of mine has the 8.75" barrel 500sw, its not bad to shoot, I shot a couple of cylinders of it one day, and dont remember it bothering me to bad. It did have the muzzle break.

The ones you guys were shooting did they have the ported barrels?

I'm pretty sure all of the S&W's have muzzle breaks, the only pistol i'm aware of that doesn't is the Magnum Research BRF. I bought one with the 7.5" bbl, the 500grn Hornady will REALLY get your attention. lol But it could be worse... it comes with a 5 round cylinder, after those 5 it's time go take a break.

I asked him why he spent so much on it and he bought it just to stash under his couch cushion and show buddies lol

Never shot a .500 Smith. Shot a few .454's though, and while the recoil wasn't unmanageable, it certainly wasn't enjoyable, and took my desire to purchase one away. Especially after I took unburned powder blast to the face from the brake.

I've got one of the first ones, 8 3/8" shoot 500gr. XTP's out of it, its fun and kills em dead. Btw the recoil isn't terrible, my brothers 329PD (.44Mag) is WAY worse.

The other day at the range I let a couple of Swedish guys shoot mine with factory Hornady 300 gr. and they had never seen anything like it. Both of them only shot one round and I'm sure it was cursing that I heard but they had some big smiles.