• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hallowed Ground

RJW

Old Retarded Top
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2004
Indiana
I just returned from Arlington National Cemetery, where I attended the inturnment of an old Friend, Major Rene' Defourneax. This was my 8th time paying honor to a Comrade and Friend, at Arlington. I am always in awe of this hallowed place and the respect that is paid by the burial detail and honor guard. The Old Boy received his 21 gun salute and his cannon salute. I stayed behind to give him a final toast from the flask and put a pour on the ground in his honor.
I was glad to have the time to visit the other 7 friends and and give them a toast and a taste as well.
May the 8 and the other 330,000 buried there rest in total peace.

Re: Hallowed Ground

I was awestruck when I went there.

There's a feeling you get. There's a calm in the air, a silence (Save for the kids)..

Don't know anyone personally but everyone there I felt a connection with...

The American cemeteries in Normandy are awesome as well. We took our kids there in 1998, with the intention of impressing upon them the fact that freedom is not free.

I don't know if it impressed them, but it did me.

My girlfriends parents just got back from a trip to Europe and they went to the Normandy cemetery. They said it was quite moving.

Interesting note, he said that someone had gone through every grave and placed a Tennessee state flag on every one that hailed from the Volunteer state.

Lindy, my wife's uncle is buried in the American cemetery in Normandy and we hope someday to go there to pay our respects for what he did there. No family member has been there yet. regards, dale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The American cemeteries in Normandy are awesome as well. We took our kids there in 1998, with the intention of impressing upon them the fact that freedom is not free.

I don't know if it impressed them, but it did me.
</div></div>

Lindy,

THe scary thing is as my kids are growing up places like this seem to fade. They become "history" as opposed to something that should never be forgotten. I hate to think it will take a WW II style of war to bring in back to the fore in the mind of people.

I have been envited to attend the Military Tattoo at Ft. Myer, Va on June 19. The group i am with is going to take a tour of Arlington National Cemetery. How humbeling the feeling is when you pass thru the gates, the resting place of those who not only served but payed the altamet price for all of us. I am mixed blood Native American and will be praying to the spirits at Arlington and those who are at rest in so many other places around the world. We will start at 3 pm EST if y-all remember please take some time out and pray with me, it's the least we can do . Thanks. crow hop

Job well done my friend! I am glad to know the old Warrior was given the respect he earned. The power a hallowed place such as Arlington holds must surely be not only breathtaking, but offer solace as well to many a Warrior who has visited the Fallen.

Thanks Switch. It was my honor and duty to take this Silver Star winner to his final rest.

Sorry to hear you had to make that Trip RJW. I've heard you speak of him and I'm sure it wasn't easy to say goodbye. I'm glad to hear he received the honors he deserved and was in such good company at the time.

RJW.Thank You for your service TOP. You and your kind are an old breed that these currant chickenshit wanna be Americans do not have the brass to give the Honor to that belongs. Thank You SIR..

Thanks for posting that, Top...it's good to be reminded once in a while.

A couple of years ago I made the trip to Arlington for my uncle's inturnment. He was burried next to his father and first wife. I was awed and humbled by the whole experience.
Washington D.C. made me feel uncomfortable, but Arlington made me feel at peace and honored to be in the presence of so many that have defended freedom and served their nation.

i just got back this pm. And yes it is a most humbling experience. DC and area suck but in Arlington is so quite, it is a world within itself. I came back home a different person. i can't explain it,but part of it is spiritual. strumhead did you feel different also? MM