• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Halo 25mm vs Trijicon Reap IR 30mm

mrjoed2

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
So I am giving the Halo another look after pretty much deciding to go with a Trijicon Reap 30mm.
Any options on the QD mounts. I know the Reap has a well regarding return to zero mount, like to get opinions on the Halo's. I do still prefer the Trijicon aluminum body, but polymer is pretty tough. And I do like the N vision 5 year warranty & ability to use rechargeables.

Love to hear from anybody who has experience with both.

Last edited:
I have a thread here that shares some info on using both....may not answer your questions and also be clear as mud 😁but it does give some perspective with side by side use. Scroll down a bit on the threads and you should come across it. When making my purchasing decisions I researched here with several searches on the Halo and Reap as well as Hunter and was able to pick up a lot of good info but you need to read thru several threads to pick up tidbits here and there from actual users.

I have a thread here that shares some info on using both....may not answer your questions and also be clear as mud 😁but it does give some perspective with side by side use. Scroll down a bit on the threads and you should come across it. When making my purchasing decisions I researched here with several searches on the Halo and Reap as well as Hunter and was able to pick up a lot of good info but you need to read thru several threads to pick up tidbits here and there from actual users.

Thanks I'll look for your thread. If you had to pick a winner which one would you choose?

Thanks I'll look for your thread. If you had to pick a winner which one would you choose?
It depends. Both are great units. Halo has an edge on overall image. Reap on magnification, plus the armored housing. Both pick up the critters equally well. If you are shooting less than 150 yards for the most part then I’d save some money and go with the Halo 25.

I’ve got a running halo 25 review on here, it’s been money. Killed several more last night. The optic has been on and off the rifle a zillion times without issue. The warranty was the real difference maker, I’ve been behind both optics and for the kind of money your spending make sure you get some good customer support.

Reactions: BamaSE
Thanks guys,. Really tough decision here. Trijicon for the aluminum housing, reputation/history, great mount. Halo for rechargeable option, lower price.

Think your saying you don't have the REAP anymore , went with thr Halo?
I had the HALO 25mm but traded up to the LR because of the area I now reside in. My ever thermal was the old the REAP and I sold it, glad that I did. The halo does have a smoother image for sure, also a better warranty. Also after reading with how trijicon treated another member on the hide with an out of warranty unit that already had a design flaw (and technically the warranty should have covered the housing for life, the electronics have a 1 year Warranty), im staying away from trijicon unless its a BAE unit.

I had the HALO 25mm but traded up to the LR because of the area I now reside in. My ever thermal was the old the REAP and I sold it, glad that I did. The halo does have a smoother image for sure, also a better warranty. Also after reading with how trijicon treated another member on the hide with an out of warranty unit that already had a design flaw (and technically the warranty should have covered the housing for life, the electronics have a 1 year Warranty), im staying away from trijicon unless its a BAE unit.

Understand, thanks I do want to clarify the Trijicon warranty: From their website just now.
I like the lifetime on structure/optics. The 3 year electronics less than the 5 yr on Halo. Honestly I have had no issues with Trijicon support in the past on other products. I did read the thread about the cracked battery tube on the REAP V1. I agree it should have been covered. On other hand do we know the
level of service from N-Vision? I know they are new to consumer sales.

IR-HUNTER®, IR-PATROL®, REAP-IR®, SNIPE-IR®:

Trijicon® warrants that optical systems and structural housings will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. Trijicon warrants the electronic systems and components for a period of 3 years for the original owner from the date of original retail purchase.

Trijicon will repair or replace (at our option) the registered product. This warranty does not apply to defects caused by anything which is deemed abnormal, abusive, or improper including any fault resulting from an accident or improper service.

Last edited:
On other hand do we know the
level of service from N-Vision?

They have a rep that is super helpful on this forum, that’s a large part of why I purchased a halo. One guy had a chip in his leans coating and they basically RMAed it inside of a day or two. The technical information thread the nvision guys run is excellent as well. While I haven’t personally reached out to them for a warranty issue the consensus and from what I have read is that nvision CS is way better than trijicon. With the kind of money your about to spend do you really want to send that money to a company that should have fixed home dudes battery housing, but pounded him for 4K? That’s a nah for me dog, that thread and the responsiveness of nvision on the forum is what pushed me to try the halo.

They have a rep that is super helpful on this forum, that’s a large part of why I purchased a halo. One guy had a chip in his leans coating and they basically RMAed it inside of a day or two. The technical information thread the nvision guys run is excellent as well. While I haven’t personally reached out to them for a warranty issue the consensus and from what I have read is that nvision CS is way better than trijicon. With the kind of money your about to spend do you really want to send that money to a company that should have fixed home dudes battery housing, but pounded him for 4K? That’s a nah for me dog, that thread and the responsiveness of nvision on the forum is what pushed me to try the halo.

I hear you, but let's be fair that's only 1 case regarding Trijicon . They are a known as a stand up company. And frankly since I'm looking at REAP Verson 2 , not a issue. I have read some of the N-Vsion reps posts & that is helpful - even though somebody asked about rechargeable brands as the manual makes reference to be careful & he not have a answer which did not make sense. Guess the biggest issue for me is the housing material. I just instinctively prefer aircraft aluminum to polymer. Back of mind is reading about POA shifts on Pulsar thermals with polymer housings.

I hear you, but let's be fair that's only 1 case regarding Trijicon . They are a known as a stand up company. And frankly since I'm looking at REAP Verson 2 , not a issue. I have read some of the N-Vsion reps posts & that is helpful - even though somebody asked about rechargeable brands as the manual makes reference to be careful & he not have a answer which did not make sense. Guess the biggest issue for me is the housing material. I just instinctively prefer aircraft aluminum to polymer. Back of mind is reading about POA shifts on Pulsar thermals with polymer housings.
I’ve had mine on and off a zillion times, out in some pretty different temperatures and fallen my big ass directly onto the rifle and optic without issue.... put it to you like this when I was getting ready to purchase mine I had an opportunity to purchase a reap 2 35mm for 5300 from a dealer. I reached out to people in the PX who had sold reaps and asked what they went to....the resounding answer from some pretty well known members I consider knowledgeable was nvision. I wouldn’t get wrapped up in the polymer vs aluminum deal personally, some of the hardest use optics and lasers in service with the military are plastic. PVS14s too.

Last edited:
I’ve had mine on and off a zillion times, out in some pretty different temperatures and fallen my big ass directly onto the rifle and optic without issue.... put it to you like this when I was getting ready to purchase mine I had an opportunity to purchase a reap 2 35mm for 5300 from a dealer. I reached out to people in the PX who had sold reaps and asked what they went to....the resounding answer from some pretty well known members I consider knowledgeable was nvision. I wouldn’t get wrapped up in the polymer vs aluminum deal personally, some of the hardest use optics and lasers in service with the military are plastic. PVS14s too.

Got you. Appreciate the input. Best price I am getting for a new REAP V2 30mm is $6300. Best 25mm Halo so far $5600. So $700 difference.
WIsh I had the chance to put them side by side, but no luck here.

Reactions: NFAJohn
...One guy had a chip in his leans coating and they basically RMAed it inside of a day or two...
That was me, and to clarify they received it... And I had tracking info for the replacement in less than two hours

It was not possible for them to turn it around any faster unless they shipped me the replacement before they received the damaged unit

on another note about Max (NVision rep as we seem to be calling him), he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the units and had been nice enough to tolerate tons of questions about the internals of the units and possible ways to use / modify the unit that I've never had access to from another company.

I'm on my 4th one now at this one due to switching from 25mm to 50mm and getting picky about the color tint of the unit. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the units and the ability. When I have needed help, or just random questions I have been extremely happy with NVision as well. I do own a Trijicon as well (patrol so I can helmet mount) because NVision hasn't made an option there yet I have no choice. From the patrol vs the Halo 25 (apples to oranges) side by side I had I would give optics to the Halo unit, but I know this is not the 35 so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: NFAJohn and Max_R