• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Halo LR sight in/first impressions

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    After debating several months between the Halo LR and the Trijicons, I found a trade partner and acquired a like new Halo LR. My only field experience was a Pulsar Trail XP38 and I’ve been running a PVS30 setup for the last few years.

I walked the Halo in on 3 shots mainly because I wasn’t sure what the click values were on the sight in screen. As the pictures suggest, I’m really happy with my setup.

Maybe the more experienced thermal guys have better luck or methods, but I usually struggle with this kind of precision with a thermal sight. Usually the target is washed out and you’re kind of guessing with your aiming point.
    A011B088-B69B-423C-9171-A692AAD042E1.jpeg
    8662C869-D1A2-4A71-8AFB-EDFBFA789D36.jpeg
    640B772E-0FC1-45F4-A87C-F789257B33B9.jpeg
    CCDF2355-51E9-409E-ABA4-CF30D8E735D1.jpeg

Very nice. I’ve been torn between Pulsar, trijicon and now Halo. Don’t have first hand experience with the Halo so your feedback from the field would be great. What distance was it sighted in?

Just a 100yds for the sight in. That was the first time using those thermal target squares. They were included in my Halo case. They’re smaller than an inch I believe. After putting a few holes in it, it started getting harder to pickup. Zoomed to 4x and I still had decent resolution. I have 3 life size steel coyote targets I’m going to set out from 150 to 350 to get my holdovers and verify the Radius alignment.

Last edited:
    As for the Pulsar/Trijicon/Halo comparison, the Halo and Trijicon are really close on image. Pulsar has the video, battery, and LRF advantage. I played with all of them including the Thermion. Pulsar seems to have some temperature induced POI shifts that I’m not going to take a chance on.

What made me choose the Halo LR was feedback from respected thermal guys on here and N-Vision listening to the customers in regards to reticles and updates. The reps I talked to at Trijicon basically said “This is what we got, it’s the best and we’re not updating it in the near future.”

Good to know, I’ll have to get behind one and see. How is their service?

Well I sent them an email about their software update and they replied even though the offices are closed for the holidays.

Was out with the mk3 and Valkyrie last weekend slapping the shit out of some 12" steel at 320yds...too ez. You're in for a good time man with that setup.

• Love
    Reactions: deersniper
    Shifty, what area of IL are you in? Most of the guys I know hunt south of 80 but I mainly stay close to my area.

☝ Sycamore... used to kick around in Kirkland a bit, really nice spot, open with lots of dogs terrorizing the farm cats. I was the only one out there but unfortunately the ole guy passed and all his property shifted hands.

Just received the ok on a few places closer to me heading northeast. Sounds promising whenever my lazy ass gets out.

Wow, you’re about 10mins from me. A lot of my sets are in Kirkland. My hunting buddy has some farming connections. Always looking for someone to show me if I’m doing something wrong. Sometimes I think I have it figured out, most of the time not.

• Love
    Reactions: Shifty6BR
    For sure buddy, tho it looks like you're doing some good work there. One of these days after all this holiday hoopla and work settles down, like to get together and maybe take a look thru the halo... contemplating grabbing up a 25mm if the opportunity arises.