• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HALP!! I need a gunsmith's opinion!!!!

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Is there a way to make a 2 piece barrel?

Like make a 16 inch barrel with standard threads on the end and an extention to make the barrel longer that can screw on to the 16" barrel?

Just an idea... If it can be done, I would be willing to donate an AR15 for testing.

wesley

Re: HALP!! I need a gunsmith's opinion!!!!

Do you mean a screw on extension that would include rifling that would match and index exactly with the existing bore? That would be an interesting feat of engineering. I think the only way to do it would be to separate and precisely thread a barrel blank even before the bore is drilled and rifled.

Check out Dan Lilja's site, I believe he's got some info/pics on there of some test or prototype barrels that were exactly that. Threaded ends with couplings that were connected to extend a bore.

What would be gained by making the the barrel longer ? Other than for extending the sights .

I think that if you are wanting to add a piece of rifled barrel in front of the 16 inch barrel you would have lots of problems .
(1) You would have to start to chamber ream the extenion or make a forcing cone (like on revolver pistol barrels)
(2) you would have a chance that the bullet would not allign up with the extenion .
(3) If the riflings from both barrels did not match up you would deform the bullet.

Howard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean a screw on extension that would include rifling that would match and index exactly with the existing bore? That would be an interesting feat of engineering. I think the only way to do it would be to separate and precisely thread a barrel blank even before the bore is drilled and rifled. </div></div>

Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about. You can use the 16" barrel for entry and then screw the extension if you need to make more precise shots. Would help with the weight issue of having to carry another complete upper. An 8 inch extension can fit in a small case and be deployed fast.

I do believe the way to do it is cut 8 inches off of a 24 inch blank. Thread the two blanks where they were cut. Then put them both back together and do the rifling and other work. I would let one of my bolt actions AR15's be used by a gunsmith thats willing to give this a go. I'll even pay for the barre; after its done because I've always wanted this set up.

Wesley

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Dan Lilja's site, I believe he's got some info/pics on there of some test or prototype barrels that were exactly that. Threaded ends with couplings that were connected to extend a bore.

</div></div>

I just went to his site and couldn't find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems this may meet your needs
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/deep_hole_rifle_barrel_drilling.htm </div></div>

Close, but without the big coupling. Have both parts of the barrel screw together for nice smooth finish. Basically the same as when a smith threads for a muzzle brake at the end of a barrel. But this would be cut and threaded the same way about 4 to 8 inches back before the rifling and drilling is done.

Then both parts are screwed back together and the process is completed with drilling then rifling.

wjwill, if I were so inclined to have my cake and eat it too id probably look at a different platform such as a Robarm XCR that has easy switch barrel capabilities. I think I could switch out the barrel in under 30 seconds on the XCR. Could change the barrel and caliber in under 1.5 minutes. A LMT MRP is another option, also with quick change abilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems this may meet your needs
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/deep_hole_rifle_barrel_drilling.htm </div></div>

They are smooth bore not rifled.

You run into all kinds of issues tying to do what he wants to do and I don't know anyone that would even attempt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems this may meet your needs

They are smooth bore not rifled.

You run into all kinds of issues tying to do what he wants to do and I don't know anyone that would even attempt it.
</div></div>

How much does the stock cost that is used for making a barrel? If I was a machinist, I ould be trying this... I'm hell bent on wanting to see this done. If a smith could pull this off, I'll pay a pretty for it.

The smooth bore works fine for the Lilja barrels as there is no rifling to index from one section to the next. The problem with adding a rifled extension to the barrel is the results if the rifling isn't exactly indexed. The bullet in a 16" .223 is probably going 2800 to 3000 fps by the time it reaches that 16" mark. Now if that extension you screw on isn't indexed to match exactly, the bullet is going to destroy the rifling in the extension when it slams into it at 3000 fps. Depending on the degree of mismatch,you could create an over-pressure situation and a big kaboom. Don't forget that with a revolver, the bullet has developed very little velocity as it leaves the case mouth and travels the very short distance within the cylinder before reaching the forcing cone.

I think it is do-able, you would have to thread barrel #1 like you would for a muzzle break, the extension number 2 would have to be threaded like a muzzle break, install take notes and trim until the riflings line up right. This would be easy for a qualified gunsmith

The problem is gas preasure in the joint. I think this is where the fail would be. might be a catastrophe might work great,

For cheap tubes to try this on, look at the A&B barrels at midway I think most blanks are $100 or less

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HALP??? might want to change it to HELP </div></div>

lol

i have done something like this as an experiment i threaded the one barrel like a muzzle break and threaded the inside of the extension i used the same barrel blank for both pieces of course and then i lapped the barrel while the two pieces were put together.. it worked fine on a gas piston type assault rifle but then again i never did check it for any kind of accuracy

I have a rifle that has a barrel made from two pieces, the smith I got it from made these barrels for several years, except they are not rifled in the extension. The barrel stock is cut and threaded than put back
together, the barrel is drilled and reamed than the parts are separated and the main barrel is rifled. The parts are reattached and you have a very fine barrel, with reduction in recoil and a faster than normal velocity, as well as a very stable bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike_l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have done something like this as an experiment i threaded the one barrel like a muzzle break and threaded the inside of the extension i used the same barrel blank for both pieces of course and then i lapped the barrel while the two pieces were put together.. it worked fine on a gas piston type <span style="color: #CC0000">assault rifle</span>but then again i never did check it for any kind of accuracy </div></div>

So this was done with a machine gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike_l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have done something like this as an experiment i threaded the one barrel like a muzzle break and threaded the inside of the extension i used the same barrel blank for both pieces of course and then i lapped the barrel while the two pieces were put together.. it worked fine on a gas piston type assault rifle but then again i never did check it for any kind of accuracy </div></div>

Once the work was gone,were you able to take the extension off and reassemble it with the rifling indexing correctly? I would guess that regardless of how well the parts were machined,any variation in re-torquing the extension would result in the rifling not indexing perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koginam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a rifle that has a barrel made from two pieces, the smith I got it from made these barrels for several years, except they are not rifled in the extension. The barrel stock is cut and threaded than put back
together, the barrel is drilled and reamed than the parts are separated and the main barrel is rifled. The parts are reattached and you have a very fine barrel, with reduction in recoil and a faster than normal velocity, as well as a very stable bullet. </div></div>

Interesting concept. How long is the smoothbore extension? Is it solid or vented like a muzzle brake. Do you know if the extension is groove diameter or slightly larger?

HALP? What you really need is a dictionary.... Just bustin' on ya'.

Two barrels seems like more trouble than it's worth. I would think that the guys that build take down rifles would have done this a long time ago, if it was an option.