• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ham Guys, this years Armed Forces Day Cross Band Test link inside.

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
5/11/2024 is this years Comms test. Looks like they are down a little in station count but the History ship count is up. Even if you don't have comms gear you can still hear the MARS side, and once they give the listening freq you can program that in to hear both sides. Or just set up 2 SWR's to listen to both sides.

Reactions: frankxtc
Thanks for sharing. I got my ticket in 2018 (just the Technician class) when the LGS hosted a class over a weekend. I figured it beat sitting on the couch watching TV and thought I might learn something. Truth be told, I haven't done anything with it since then. I've been looking for something similar to the class for the General license but it seems those classes are all geared to Technician and then of course COVID happened and took a lot of wind out of the sails. MARS is certainly an interesting animal in the HAM world though.

-LD

Reactions: Ronws
Here is a good place to find a club near you that can assist you in up grading your ticket when you're ready. If you have an HF radio you can always listen to see if its something you might be interested in. Caution, many people think shooting is pricey but if you get into it with both feet Radio is way more money than guns.
The advantage of radio is the ability to seek the truth w/o any agenda presenters being involved. Its interesting to talk to people who were at and event across the ponds (or here for that matter) where their story is 180* of the media's version of the 5 w's (who, what, where, when, & why).

The general ticket is about 20% harder than the Tech, but about 60-70% simpler than the extra. The general gets you most of all the HF bands, and all MARS listening (where you would Tx) is in the general portion of the HF bands.

The Military Golden Triangle, (Combat Effectiveness) = The ability to, Shoot, Move, & Communicate.

Seems they may add a few more stations again at the last minute like a few years ago. So if you're going to partake make sure to check the link again just prior to event kick off time. Also if you're not up to date on how to operate on split freqs, you need to be training now instead of the last minute. We have ask them to do split bands, but nothing to date.

If you only have a single boat anchor & that is holding you back, a SW/R set on the listed will work as well. Happy hunting.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
I never did build up a rig but my step-grandfather was a ham. And starting in 1975, he would give me his older issues of the ARRL handbook.

Time is getting closer so if you are planning to partake, it would be a good time to start testing everything you're planning on using. My junk gets used/tested most every day, well except the Hex beam. That will go back up a week prior, as I mostly only use it for ADB.