• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hammer hunters in 7mm SAUM

STXLeroy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2021
Texas
Guys my current loads for my 7mm SAUM are the 175 SMK over 61 grains of Vihtavuori N560 And the 175 ELDX over the same charge. I'm interested in trying the hammer hunter 155gr and 169gr. Just for grins since I can buy the 15 bullet sample packs, want to see how they print and try them on some hogs to see if the terminal performance is as good as some have said. My rifle has an 8 twist 26" barrel with 5r rifling. Any thoughts on this bullet? Yes I used the search function but I've never been able to locate very much information on the hammers in a 7SAUM. The rifle shoots in the .2-.3 range with both loads above if I do my part, which is not everyday by any means. I hunt south Texas and have the chance at some long shots. But at times will also take a deer at less than 50 yards. Just looking for thoughts on these bullets.

Hammer Bullets has a forum. A quick search and I found 5 threads on the 7SAUM in reloading.
A Google search using "Hammer bullets 7SAUM load data" turned up some hits on other forums but nothing here.

Hammer bullets are fantastic! They are flawless and consistent, they are completely insensitive to jump meaning they group fantastically at any seating depth and the terminal performance is very consistent and deadly. The only cons I’ve found is their BC is lackluster compared to many other choices out there and like all monolithics they require a fast twist barrel for the heavier caliber options. Doesn’t stop me from using them. I love em

Reactions: codym
Include the Barnes 168 LRX in your load development.

I did and found they did better than the Hammers with much better BC.

Nothing against Hammers, but my rifle liked the LRX better. Proof barrel.

Reactions: STXLeroy
Hammer Bullets has a forum. A quick search and I found 5 threads on the 7SAUM in reloading.
A Google search using "Hammer bullets 7SAUM load data" turned up some hits on other forums but nothing here.
Thank you. I didn't know they had a forum. Found some great information there today

Reactions: Army First
Hammer bullets are fantastic! They are flawless and consistent, they are completely insensitive to jump meaning they group fantastically at any seating depth and the terminal performance is very consistent and deadly. The only cons I’ve found is their BC is lackluster compared to many other choices out there and like all monolithics they require a fast twist barrel for the heavier caliber options. Doesn’t stop me from using them. I love em
I'm looking forward to trying them. I'll back my load down a small bit and see what they do. The ELDX bullet is great at longer distance. But close up it tends to fall apart on me. Just playing with different things. In all honesty the BC isn't as big of a deal because I'm not planning to shoot a game animal at more than 400 yards, Hogs are another story. As are steel targets. But let's face the facts.... not gonna be ringing steel with bullets that are over $1.00 each lol. That's what SMK bullets are for.

Thank you for the positive info. I'm looking forward to trying them

Include the Barnes 168 LRX in your load development.

I did and found they did better than the Hammers with much better BC.

Nothing against Hammers, but my rifle liked the LRX better. Proof barrel.
When I can find some in stock I'll order some to try. Thank you. All I currently have is 200 pieces of Remington brass. Waiting on my adg brass on back order. The Remington brass is accurate but overall quality is shit. Once I get some better brass I'll try and really fine tune my load

I ran the 155s is a 22" 7SAUM last fall. I used RL-23 and was pushing them at a little over 3k fps. It put this bull down with one shot from a little over 500 yards...

IMG_1125.jpeg

If you can find it, try RL-26. You won't be disappointed.

It's about as scarce as Barnes bullets.

Good luck.
In my wsm and 6.5cm I could get crazy speed with rl26 and even decent velocitys but I could never get consistency out of it, did you find that as well?
I am not sure why everyone loves hammer bullets the Stats on them are never great.

I have been running the 143 Hammer Hunter in a 20” Saum for about a year. Killed a big bull elk at 200 with pass through of the shank and all four petals and a quick two step death as well as several hogs. My load is ADG, fed 215m, h4350 at 58.5gr, and loaded 15 thou from the lands. Shoots a touch under 1/2 moa with consonant cold bore impacts. I originally emailed Steve at Hammer and he pointed me toward the 143’s rather than the heavier options. Load is 3030 fps out of the 20” barrel.