• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Hand Forged Swedish Axe Order Thread

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    Here is a single thread for those of you who wanted some of the Swedish axes I ordered so we don't clutter up the Firewood thread.
    Tagging @TheGerman just because he likes quality, expensive stuff and will therefore buy one to prove that he isn't poor. ;)

Here is the deal. I ordered $3500 and change in Swedish hand forged, antique axes. I hand selected these out of a batch of about 150 axes through a contact I have in Sweden. I will be passing some of these axes along to interested Hide Members for exactly what I have into them plus actual shipping. I won't be making anything off of you. If you want them cleaned up and made to look all nice like a new axe, I can do that but it will be at my convenience and I will charge you for my time and materials. If I was to clean these up an sell them on eBay they would retail for $200 minimum. These will all come in at half of that or less, (sometimes significantly less), depending on the specific item, of course.

Here is my personal one from a previous order all cleaned up and sharpened.
    Kolefors Bruk 1943 production with arctic birch handle.
    IMG_2787.JPG

So far 21 people on the Hide have expressed interest in at least one, sometimes multiple, axes. I have 52 that I ordered total. Once they get in I will post pics of each axe with what the price will be to your door.

The folks tagged below are those who are already in line for first crack at what they have expressed interest in.
    Those so annotated have been assigned one of the batch of NOS Gransfors that are in the order. No additional Gransfors are available.

In no particular order:
    @IowaPlinker
    @isofahunter
    @pmclaine
    @J-Ham
    @Hookturnr
    @Icallem - Gransfors
    @Sixfivesavage - Gransfors
    @BullGear - Gransfors
    @hangunnr - Gransfors
    @Major Wader
    @Tikka595II
    @duramaxed
    @LeftyJason
    @packratt
    @665.0coupe
    @Decoy
    @Mr. Zick
    @S Roche
    @Marinevet1

Until the shipment arrives, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. Ones marked in red are some of the ones I ordered.
    axe 18 marked.jpg
    axe11 marked.jpg
    axe14 marked.jpg
    Yxa 1.jpg
    Yxa 2 final.jpg
    Yxa 3.jpg
    Yxa 4 final.jpg
    Yxa1 final.jpg

Here is a single thread for those of you who wanted some of the Swedish axes I ordered so we don't clutter up the Firewood thread.
    Tagging @TheGerman just because he likes quality, expensive stuff and will therefore buy one to prove that he isn't poor. ;)

Here is the deal. I ordered $3500 and change in Swedish hand forged, antique axes. I hand selected these out of a batch of about 150 axes through a contact I have in Sweden. I will be passing some of these axes along to interested Hide Members for exactly what I have into them plus actual shipping. I won't be making anything off of you. If you want them cleaned up and made to look all nice like a new axe, I can do that but it will be at my convenience and I will charge you for my time and materials. If I was to clean these up an sell them on eBay they would retail for $200 minimum. These will all come in at half of that or less, (sometimes significantly less), depending on the specific item, of course.

Here is my personal one from a previous order all cleaned up and sharpened.
    Kolefors Bruk 1943 production with arctic birch handle.
    View attachment 7468660

So far 21 people on the Hide have expressed interest in at least one, sometimes multiple, axes. I have 52 that I ordered total. Once they get in I will post pics of each axe with what the price will be to your door.

The folks tagged below are those who are already in line for first crack at what they have expressed interest in.
    Those so annotated have been assigned one of the batch of NOS Gransfors that are in the order. No additional Gransfors are available.

In no particular order:
    @IowaPlinker
    @isofahunter
    @pmclaine
    @J-Ham
    @Hookturnr
    @Icallem - Gransfors
    @Sixfivesavage - Gransfors
    @BullGear - Gransfors
    @hangunnr - Gransfors
    @Major Wader
    @Tikka595II
    @duramaxed
    @LeftyJason
    @packratt
    @665.0coupe
    @Decoy
    @Mr. Zick
    @S Roche
    @Marinevet1

Until the shipment arrives, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. Ones marked in red are some of the ones I ordered.
    View attachment 7468649View attachment 7468650View attachment 7468651View attachment 7468652View attachment 7468653View attachment 7468655View attachment 7468656View attachment 7468657
    Please add me to your list if possible, Thanks, Charlie112, Missouri.

Reactions: MK20
    If possible/practical, I would prefer one of the smaller heads. I already have a number of 3lb+ axes.

I will, of course, be happy with whatever is available.

I did my best to order a variety of sizes, but most are mid size axes with about 2-3 lb heads and are made to fit alongside packs. Some are full size of course. My personal axe above is about 2.5 feet long with a ~2.5 lb head.

I will go down the list until the axes I have for the Hide are gone, so feel free to post here and I will do my best to see that everyone gets one.

Sweet.

Please PM payment info and I will get you paid realizing it may not be the end total charge.

No sense you having your money tied up for our benefit.

You look like a good honest boy no concern I will get screwed.

No one is getting charged anything until I have the specific axe in hand that you want and am heading to the post office with it.

Also, if you would like just a head please specify or I am going to assume a full axe with handle. Some of the handles will need a new wedge and if so I will let you know. I can do this for you for a small fee to cover my time and the wedge kit but it is not hard to do it yourself. If you are going to own a good axe you will eventually need to know how to do it anyway.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I'm in.

11/19 edit. I want an axe that has a pretty good length handle that would be a good companion for a gransfors bruks american felling axe (4.5lb head w/ 36" handle) that I want to get later. Want it more as a heavier replacement to an estwing 26" campers axe. Maybe somewhere of a 3-3.5 lb head? Idk. Whatever you think would work.

Last edited:
    Are the ones in the first and second pic similar in size to the one you own that you posted the pic of? I'm looking for something like pmclain and the one you redid for yourself for the older one. I plan to use the new gransfors head as a smaller version for cutting vines and kindling and such to keep on the gator.

Im in for one as well. If there is something in the 2-2.5 lb range with a head shape similar to yours. I want more of a chopping than splitting axe if that makes sense.
    Thanks

Im out of the loop on the firewood thread. Any chance you could do the same with adze’s? Getting a quality curved adze for bowl carving in the USA be hard.

The new Gransfors is actually rather large. I think they are about 4 or 5 lbs if I remember correctly. The pic of mine and the ones with the holes in the head are roughly the same size. These ones that are built as “pack axes” are the perfect general propose outdoor axe for keeping in a gator or in a pack. Surprise ;)

I'm in for one if any left. Let me know how to pay. Thanks
    Dave

I want at least one and will take 3 or 4 if you have enough to include my sons in laws. I want whatever number I can get refurbed and sharpened.

Thanks!

@MK20 just talked to the wife.
    Since it’s going to be a display piece in the house and and a tool.
    Can you please do the clean up and sharpen. She said she wants nice wood, I got hit.... the got told she wants it to have character.
    Thank you. This is going to be cool to have on display

i'd like one all cleaned up.

i got a gransfors small forest axe for my nephew last year. something he can hand down to his son...
    if you can't tell, i am not part of the plastic throw away crowd.

In... would prefer a smaller head with an extended lug; with or without handle is fine. In the middle of a move and work is nuts so refurbished and sharpened is preferred if you have the time.

Thanks for doing this!

edit: this one’s calling my name if it’s still available.
    B53BB467-DCFB-4668-BEF1-A1A5A60A8101.jpeg

Do you also fit handles? If so, let me know and I’ll happily pay for that as well.

Pm sent.

I'll actually be using it, so if you have a 4-5 lb ax I'd prefer that. If not. I'll take whatever.

I'd prefer to clean up and sharpen my own ax please.👍