• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

hand guards with locking tabs, needed or not?

Raivkka

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2012
New Hampshire
I have an Armalite compatible upper receiver and I am looking for a hand guard.
I can get one from the manufaturer but it does not have locking tabs.

Is it necessary to have those tabs (building a 6.5C) or not that important?

I have an Armalite compatible upper receiver and I am looking for a hand guard.
I can get one from the manufaturer but it does not have locking tabs.

Is it necessary to have those tabs (building a 6.5C) or not that important?

What are these locking tabs your talking about??? Do ypu have a picture? One of my favorite rails is the Fortis switch and there are no tabs of any kind...

The anti rotation tabs are not a requirement, and plenty of hand guards lack them though being highly regarded. But, assuming they are machined well, the tabs make aligning the top rails "even a cave man can do it" simple. After buying a hand guard with them, I will not buy another without them.

You are in 308 land I see. The large frame gas guns have 0 standard whatsoever on the shape of the upper behind the rail system, so most companies don't do anything locking tab related.

The trick to avoiding the locking tab's purpose altogether is to use a torque wrench on your barrel nut and torque it to the high end of the spec from the manufacturer. Problem eliminated.

I don't have a preferred 308 rail at this time. If I were building a light gun I would try the 2A Armory Xanthos rail, and my heavy gun has a JP handguard on there being that its an LRP-07.