• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hand Matching AR Bolt to AR Barrel - Answer this..

Afghanvet09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
Holly Hill, SC
I just picked up a match AR15 barrel from a new company and ordered it with a matching bolt. The company (new, never dealt with) somehow left off the bolt off the order. A company rep is telling me they don't need the barrel back to send the bolt. I know you must have the barrel to match the bolt. What I'm a missing here?

Re: Hand Matching AR Bolt to AR Barrel - Answer this..

I'm am not an AR expert, so I will also be curious to see what people say here. That said, if the company chambers their barrels with a 'spec' bolt, and all their bolts are 'spec' it should be fine. I would want to check it maybe with a go gauge and maybe some tape or soft solder to see where it actually is.

Dave

I would say they didn't need the barrel back becasue the same manufacturer made both the extension and the bolt.

The current military specifications for the M16 series call for headspace of not less than 1.4646” and not more than 1.4706” on a new rifle. The commercial Forster/SAAMI gauges are marked in 1,000ths of an inch instead the 10,000ths of an inch that the dedicated M16 gauges are. When installing a new barrel, the commercial gauge measuring 1.465" can be used in place of the M16 "Go" gauge. Consider the 4/10,000ths of an inch difference an extra margin of safety. The commercial 1.470" gauge (the commercial "Field" gauge) can be used to confirm that the headspace is within spec for a new rifle. Unfortunately, there are no gauges available to measure between 1.470" and 1.4730", the latter being the measurement on the M16 "Field" gauge.

The M16 Field Service gauge measures a dimension of greater than 1.4730”. A rifle with a bolt that does not close on a Field Service gauge is considered safe to fire by the army, but not the Marines who use the military "No-Go" gauge for that measurement. Without using military Go or No-Go gauges, or commercial gauges marked with their measurements, you cannot know whether or not it is truly in spec. An interesting tidbit of information is that the Colt M16/AR15 Field gauge measures a dimension in excess of 1.4736”. It seems that the military has built in a bit more of a safety factor with their gauge.

You should remove the extractor parts and the ejector, which normally requires four hands. Removing the ejector is a two-handed job if you have the proper tools, specifically a Sinclair Bolt Vice for the AR15.

You can’t really reset the headspace on an AR15 with a chrome-lined chamber. That is set when the barrel extension is installed on the barrel. If you have an unlined barrel, with short headspace, a gunsmith can adjust it by cutting the chamber deeper with the appropriate chambering reamers. If the headspace is long, or the chamber chrome-lined, the only option is to try a different bolt until headspace checks good, or you run out of bolts. Then it is time for a new barrel.

To recap, the specs are as follows:

New Rifle Headspace: 1.4646" to 1.4706"
SAMMI headspace gauges to use: 1.465" and 1.470"

Unsafe Rifle Headspace: 1.4736"
Use the Colt M16/AR15 Field Gauge: 1.4736" or,
The US military gauge: 1.4730”

Note: The Forster/SAAMI "No-Go" gauge measures 1.467"

That info in going to be copied and put in my AR files. Excellent, thanks.