• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand warmers

threetrees

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Tirol
I'm looking for something to warm my hands, or sometimes chest/leg area when I'm sitting in the blind for half a day while hunting.

I do have one of those coal-stick based handwarmers which I used while on border patrols. There they were ... fine. The small was notable but back then I didn't bother too much about it. Now, for hunting, I'm more concerned about the small. So ... any recommendations from your side?

Currently I'm leaning towards the zippo handwarmers, or the peacock handwarmers. It's not clear too me whether they are really coming from the same company or not. Some sites say they are different, some say they are not.

Anyway. Looking forward to your comments.

With best regards,

3T

you mean the army heating pads? fill with 2 table-spoons of water and enjoy the heat? just found out about them. looking into getting some.

or do you mean those house bags where you break that little metal-piece in the center and it gets warm? to reuse it, you have to bake it / put it into hot water? -> one those multiday trips with my brother I'd rather use the hot water for a decent meal, then on those bags.

Years back I purchased a pair of "wooly boogers". They are mittens made from straight tanned sheep hide turned inside out. So you have a leather outside and pile wool inside. I tied them together and sit with polypropylene glove liners on. When I need my hands free I just slide them out of the mittens with zero effort. They are TOO warm for most days. It has to be bitterly cold before I can deploy them. If you want warmth, these cannot be beat. By the way the polypropylene liners are also the sh@@. I wear those alone down to around 20*

Years back I purchased a pair of "wooly boogers". They are mittens made from straight tanned sheep hide turned inside out. So you have a leather outside and pile wool inside. I tied them together and sit with polypropylene glove liners on. When I need my hands free I just slide them out of the mittens with zero effort. They are TOO warm for most days. It has to be bitterly cold before I can deploy them. If you want warmth, these cannot be beat. By the way the polypropylene liners are also the sh@@. I wear those alone down to around 20*. Pm me and I'll send a pic

What will also help is the body warmers, placed onto a base layer right at the wrist(wrist/base of back of hand) That really warms the blood flowing to your hand and works very well. The body warmers are designed to work with less oxygen verses the hand warmers that normally need some room and periodic shaking.

Hand Warmers, Hand Warmer in Stock - ULINE

Mittens are much, much warmer than gloves. With shake and bake generic hand warmers you should be good.
I will sometimes carry a sleeping bag into the blind with me.
A catalytic propane heater in a blind works really well if your blind is far enough away from your quarry (at least 200 yards id say).

Ive always wanted one of those zippos, buy one and let us know how it goes.