• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Handguard clearance

chopit

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Odem Texas
What is the minimum amount of clearance between handguard id and suppressor odd? Handguard 1.435 id and the can I want is 1.4. I think this is too close possibly. Since I don't own a suppressor not really sure.

I'm assuming your going for the can in hand gaurd. I would say that is cutting it close, but your not going to find to much that is smaller can wise.
I would worry about the hand gaurd flexing into the can if it has any flex.

Yes in the handguard for about the first 3". I want the omega 9k but worried not enough clearance. The gemtech gm9 is 1.25" but i read that the smaller diameter cans get really hot.

Cans get really hot no matter what the size. They are designed to trap expanding got gases. One complaint of the hand gaurd over can design is the heat can make the hand gaurd hot.

Now all of this depends on firing schedule. So if you are just doing a few shots, then there is no worry. Range day and a case of ammo, it's going to be hot.

I have a TBAC DSU and if you shoot a couple of mags quickly you had better have gloves or rail covers, I can smell my rail covers and the rail is hot. I would not change anything as the DSU is perfect as is but the hand guard will get hot fast. TBAC uses Aero Precision on there builds so you can look on the website and it will give you an idea what you will need.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Aero Precision would also be my suggestion. The ID of their enhanced series handguards is like 1.7", tons of room. My barrels are 1.25" and practically swim inside there. Tough stuff too, well machined, good coatings, 4 different lengths available

The hanguard is a stern defense and very well ventilated. I dont really want to change it because the suppressor will be used on multiple guns. I am also considering jyst buying a gemtech gm9 just for that gun and leave it on since it is 1.2" diameter or the dead air odessa 9. Looking at wait times are making me reconsider even getting a suppressor.

The hanguard is a stern defense and very well ventilated. I dont really want to change it because the suppressor will be used on multiple guns. I am also considering jyst buying a gemtech gm9 just for that gun and leave it on since it is 1.2" diameter or the dead air odessa 9. Looking at wait times are making me reconsider even getting a suppressor.
The wait is worth it, and the ventilation won't help when the metal is in contact. You also have to consider rail flex and barrel whip. Definitely go with at least 1/8" of clearance.

What SDet has stated is correct the barrel is going to flex when you shoot so you need some room, and you will forget the wait the first time you shoot with it

I have several 1.8 and 1.7 internal diameter suppressor compatible hand guards for sale. PM me if anyone is interested.