• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handguard heating up

HitEmHard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
San Antonio, TX
So I just finished my first AR build, and of course I needed a free float handguard. Its all good right? Well, first time out to the range the other day I noticed the handguard getting hot. Its just a standard aluminum freefloat, no rails. But after only 30-40 rounds, it was unpleasantly warm, and after about 20 more rounds, I had to let it cool due to it being too hot to hold. Is this normal?

Re: Handguard heating up

are you rapid firing?

just an opinion,

1. if your rapid firing, it's going to heat up no matter what.
2. if your rapid firing, your defeating the purpose of freefloating it
3. if your rapid firing, get a rail on the bottom with a grip so as not to touch the handgaurd at all.

the freefloat handgaurd is to help with a more precision application and not a street sweeping dust kicker-upper.

try shooting your ar like a precision bolt, you'll see a difference in temp.

perfectly normal.

It really doesnt take much to get them warm. If you look in the old handguards there is a heat shield in them ....

If your forearm is railed then I would look into some MagPul rail covers, or KAC covers. If its just a tube ... then I dont know what to tell you really.

Yeah, its just a tube. I wasn't doing what i consider "rapid-fire", I was sighting in for about 10 rounds, and then testing a couple different loads. That barrel does get pretty danged hot, I guess it makes sense... Thanks for the thoughts, at least I know to expect it.

D

The outside temperature matters as well. A black handguard in the middle of a sizzling desert environment WILL get hot no matter what. Use white camo to reflect the rays and wear a glove if you're rapid firing a whole lot.