• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handguard Importance

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
How important is the handguard to overall accuracy in the AR world. I was thinking now that I can't find what I want, to just build a "small" and "large" upper--particularlly in small frame (large, I may still spring for seekins, or build of Aero Upper/lower) Is there anything to watch out for in terms of Handguards, like fitting gasblocks underneath (thinking Rifle length Gas and 15" handguard)? Access to the AGB? Being laid up--have lot of time for projects right now. Looking at Midwest Industries offerings.

Upper will be for PRS in 223 or similar.

Mainly you just want to make sure your rails inside diameter is large enough to clear the gas block so that they don't touch if the rail flexes.

As far as precision is concerned, a more rigid rail will probably help but short of a setup like LMT or LaRue's system were the rail is mated to the upper I don't think it's going to affect accuracy much in my experience.

Reactions: DocRDS
The Aero Precision enhanced line, mounts the HG and barrel separately. Making the handguard more "one" with the upper. You're limited to their handguard line though, due to mounting. They get 0 complaints from me.

The Aero Precision enhanced line, mounts the HG and barrel separately. Making the handguard more "one" with the upper. You're limited to their handguard line though, due to mounting. They get 0 complaints from me.
The Sgt of Arms arca handguards are designed for the aero enhanced receivers. That is the only other option I know of though.

I have a Cross Machine 15" rail that's known to retain zero for lasers and other POA doodads, but if I load my bipod anything past just removing the slack, I shift my POI. Barrel nut at 55ftlbs on a BCM upper. I've heard that with some of the thicker rails and mounting solutions, this isn't an issue and the CMT is pretty thin around the barrel nut compared to something like a Geissele so it makes sense that it's more prone to shift.