• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handguard to close to the barrel?

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey guys,
I bought a really nice Savage MSR 2.0 upper with an M-Lock handguard and a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped 18" barrel.

No I´ve attached two Pica-Rails and a QD-Swivel up front on the hand guard (one rail on the 3 and 6 o´clock position, the QD swivel on the 9 o´clock position), of course with the M-Lock mounts.

The hand guard is very slim, what I liked, but now, with the M-Lock nuts on the inside, there is very less room left between those M-Lock nuts and the barrel.
There is approx. 0.08" space between them.

I´m struggling a bit to get a precise load, so might it be, that this is to narrow and the barrel has contact with the M-Lock nuts when shot?
:unsure:

I'd want a little more clearance than that personally. Can you flex the barrel and handguard to get them to make contact?

If the barrel makes contact:

Option A: File the MLOK screw and T-nuts down until there is sufficient clearance

Option B: Remove the MLOK accessories and accept that the handguard is really just a tube with slots cut in it.

Makes absolute sense, thanks.

Yes, I can flex the handguard to make contact with the nuts.

I´ll try the file-thingy first.
(y)

i had a gas block about a hair’s width from the hand guard on a ar15 and i could flex the barrel into the rail

groups where not what i expected so i changed to a low profile and got better results.

Filed down all the nuts and screws.

Clearance is now about 0.11", I can´t flex the handguard to the attachments.

I´m very curious if groups will look better now, but have to wait until the weekend to try it out.

I once fought a consistency issue with a .223 build.

The .875 gas block was too large for my slim handguard, and I was able to make contact easily between the two by hand.

I put a thinner barrel on with a .750 block, and my problem went away. It was a more expensive, but easy lesson learned.

Fortunately I figured out my folly on my third shooting session, so I wasn't out too much on ammo and reloading time (about 75 - 80 rounds).

Occasionally you'll see this happening to guys who mount a pic rail section under their gas block and make contact with the nuts too.

I now avoid ultra slim handguards.

I like ultra slim handgaurds. I just watch for contact points and clearance stuff or move attachments as needed. I use an Allen wrench that's about .125 to check for clearance then grind file or buff whatever part.

I like ultra slim handgaurds. I just watch for contact points and clearance stuff or move attachments as needed. I use an Allen wrench that's about .125 to check for clearance then grind file or buff whatever part.
Same.

Well, was shooting it today with the downfiled nuts and bolts.

Some groups were better, others were somewhat weirdly all over the place.
Off the scope in various directions, groups partly at about .6" up to over 4" on a 100.

So my next step will actually be removing the M-Lok attachments and give it another try.

Savage, if you are listening, the narrow handguard on the MSR 2.0 upper sucks.

Must I be the one to piss on OP's parade? If you're struggling to find a load that is "precise" in the rifle, you may consider an alternative to a CF wrapped barrel.

Sorry, but I believe CF wrapped barrels are a fucking gimmick. Sure, the first couple of shots out of them might be great, but they sure as shit can't accept sustained strings of fire, I don't care who wrapped them.

I believe I have yet to see anyone specifically note how Proof suddenly started manufacturing steel barrels, but I digress...