• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HANDGUN LOADS FOR SHORT BARREL PISTOLS

farwest

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
NE Louisiana
Is there any information available on hand loads for short barrel pistols- appx 2".
Like the powder used and load data for handloads similar to Federal Punch ammunition.
I am interested in loads for 2" S&W J Frame .38 special; 2"-3".357 Mag,; Sig P-365/S&W Shield and 3"-5".45ACP.
Federal advertises that they use special powder for short barrel pistols. There are other manufacturers' of short barrel ammo,
but I have seen a lot of adds for Federal Punch.

I used bullseye for lot of 38 special.
Bullet weight would help as some powders work better for different weight projectiles.

Here is Speer Reloading Manual #14 data for short barrel 38 load.
IMG_0911.jpeg

And data for short barrel 357.
IMG_0913.jpeg

Thank you for the information. I use Unique, Bullseye and Win 231 a lot. I did not know if there was a newer powder that Federal was using in Punch.

I’ll often use red dot for pistol loads, it’s a shotgun powder ie fast burning which should work better for short barrels. Back during one of the powder shortages I was at a big trap shoot and they had tractor trailers full of 8 lb jugs for sale so I bought some and tried it out. It’s a little dirty especially when shooting hard cast. I use it for 9mm, 45, and 44 mag mild loads. Just be careful not to double charge a case, because you don’t use much.